Planning and Zoning
Regular meeting time is the third Monday in the month at 7:00 p.m. in the old courtroom at the courthouse. (Date is subject to change.)
Zoning Official - Annie Kuntz
Second Floor Courthouse
150 Ash Avenue
Akron, CO 80720
970-345-2701 ext 1
|Deanna L. Schrock|
|Terry Hart||(ex officio)|
|Leland Willeke||(ex officio)|
|Lea Ann Laybourn||(ex officio)|
The Washington County Land Use Office administers the permits for the unincorporated portion of the County for buildings and structures as well as changes in land use.
Building Permits are Required For
- Residences – all categories including mobile/manufactured homes
- Building Permit Application (Not for Mobile or Manufactured Homes)
- Building Permit Application for Mobile or Manufactured Homes
- Foundation permit may be required for mobile/manufactured homes
- Well and septic permits may be required before final approval
- Out Buildings (barns, shops, machine sheds, etc.)
- Grain bins
- Garages, room additions, decks with attached roofs, screened porches, etc.
Land Use Applications
Land Use applications go to the Planning Commission for approval before they are approved by the Board of County Commissioners.
- Exemption from Subdivision (35 acres or less)
- Single residence is allowed.
- Merge an Exemption from Subdivision back into a larger acreage
- Use by Special Review
- Commercial use or special use of property
- Multiple residences on less than 35 acres of land. Must have health department approval for septic for multiple residences on acreage.
- Amend Current Use by Special Review
- Minor changes to established project or business without changing the original proposal given for approval.
- Application approved by Commissioners only.
- Extinguish Current Use by Special Review
- Revert the property back to agricultural zoning. Approved by Commissioners only in certain circumstances.
- Temporary Special Use Permit
These are general guidelines. Always call the Commissioner’s Office at 970-345-2701 (Planning and Zoning) for specific information.
Request for Address – needed for new address either for new building or location site for 911 emergency such as pump station or electrical substation.