Marriage Licenses

A license to marry in Colorado may be obtained during regular business hours, in accordance with the requirements outlined below. The license is valid upon issue and must be used, in Colorado, within 35 days. The fee is $30.00.

Guidelines for Obtaining Marriage Licenses in Colorado

Age Requirements – Same for both parties

  • 18 and older – No parental consent is required.
  • 16 and 17 – Consent of both parents, parent having legal custody, legal guardian, parent having decision-making responsibility, parent with whom child is living, or judicial approval is required.
  • Younger than 16 – Consent as listed above AND judicial approval (court order) are required – NO EXCEPTIONS.

Parents Consent Form

Identification Requirements

Valid ID must be furnished by both parties. All are valid forms of ID:

  • Birth Certificates (Presenting a birth certificate as proof of age and/or identity requires some form of photo ID)
  • Driver’s Licenses
  • Military Identification Cards
  • Passports

Blood Test Requirements
As of July 1, 1989, blood tests are NOT required for either party in the State of Colorado.

Social Security Numbers
Social Security Numbers ARE required on marriage license applications (C.R.S. 14-14-113).

If a party does not have a Social Security Number, the Affidavit Concerning Social Security Number must be completed and submitted at time of application for a marriage license. It may be signed and notarized in advance or signed in from of the deputy county clerk at time of application.

Prohibited Marriages

Marriage Licenses will NOT be issued if:

  • One of the parties is still married to another person; all divorces must be final.
  • Marriage between the following is prohibited regardless of whether the relationship is by half or whole blood:
    Ancestor or descendant
    Brother and sister
    Uncle and niece
    Aunt and nephew
  • Marriage between cousins is permitted in Colorado.
  • Marriage license applications issued by another state are NOT valid for solemnization in Colorado.

Witness Requirements

  • Both parties must complete and sign the marriage application form. At least ONE of the parties must apply IN PERSON before the clerk and recorder or deputy clerk. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she MUST complete an Absentee Affidavit with a notarized signature and provide a copy of valid identification showing proof of age of the absent party.
  • If either party has been divorced, he or she must recite the date the divorce was finalized, city and state divorce took place, and the type of court.
  • A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other.
  • Applicants for a marriage license need not be Colorado residents.


Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (C.R.S. 14-2-109). Marriages can also be solemnized by judges, retired judges, magistrates, public officials authorized to perform marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Indian Tribe or nation. Not anyone can solemnize a marriage. (Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage, that does not mean a friend or relative, who is not otherwise authorized to perform marriages, can also solemnize their marriage.) Clergy from out of state need not be registered in Colorado.


The person solemnizing the marriage shall complete the marriage license and forward it to the Clerk and Recorder’s office within sixty-three days (63) after solemnizing. Any person who fails to forward the marriage certificate to the Clerk and Recorder’s Office shall be required to pay a $20.00 LATE FEE and an additional $5.00 LATE FEE may be assessed by each additional day of failure up to a MAXIMUM of $50.00.

Please return completed marriage license/certificate to:
Washington County Clerk and Recorder
150 Ash Avenue – PO Box L,
Akron, CO 80720-0380

Marriage certificates must include the county and location where the marriage took place, the date of the marriage, the officiating party’s signature and title and the bride and groom’s signatures.

Marriage Copies

$0.25 per license / $0.25 per application – Certified is an additional $1.00 per document.
Request for Marriage License/Certificate copy Form

A Request for Marriage/App Copy form, along with valid form of identification, is required to obtain a copy of a marriage application.

Name Change
Your marriage license must be returned and recorded before the bride can make any name changes.

Name Change Contact Information