Green Leaf Volunteers - Cucharas River Cleanup
Walsenburg flood mitigation update: We have approximately 4 more weekends for river cleanup.
Clean up will be every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am. to 4 pm with sign-in times at 8am and 12 noon beginning March 29 and continuing throughout April
There are 2 time slots to show up... Arrive at 8am or 12 noon to meet your Volunteer Crew Leader and join your volunteers.
Shifts are: 8am to 12 noon or 12 noon to 4pm.
You do the time that works best for you.
We need EVERYONE to sign up for this flood mitigation project to help out. Bring yourself, your friends and neighbors, your employees! Spread the word.
We need helpers also not just laborers. if you are unable to do the labor we could still use your help in other ways.
We work 3 days a week. Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays. Staging area is at 9th and Willis. Parking is available there.
Here is what you need to bring:
- Water bottle (city will have bottles available
- Layered clothing, including sturdy & weather-appropriate clothes, long pants.
- Boots recommended if you have them.
- Bring your bike helmet to protect your head during the work day. We have a limited number of hard hats for volunteers who do not have a bike helmet.
- Eye protection (sunglasses will do if you do not have work eyewear)
- work gloves (city will have gloves available if you do not have any).
April 5, 6, 7, Team Rubicon will be in Walsenburg helping us! Please come help! Let's show up in force to support this amazing crew of workers.
Green Leaf Committee
The Walsenburg Green Leaf Committee was formed and met on March 19th, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. to form a plan of action for cleaning up the Cucharas River Basin between Yosidro bridge and Main Street bridge in Walsenburg as part of ongoing flood mitigation efforts.
Objectives And Goals
- Clear The River Channel Of Stick And Debris
- Remove Fallen Timber First
- Remove All Other Debris From Channel
- Work Safely
- Yvonne Griego - Property Owner
- Christy McClendon - Property Owner
- Carmen Lara - Concerned citizen
- Gay Davis - Property Owner
- Gloria Tofoya - Property Owner
The City of Walsenburg wishes to give a shout out in recognition of those in the community who volunteered to help clean up the trash and debris in the river bottom. THANK YOU for your participation in this flood mitigation project !
- Eric Bates
- Alicia Bryant
- Rita Casias
- Vanessa Coca
- Mark Ellis
- Samuel Gibson
- Heather Hicken
- Misti Hicken
- Larry King
- Susan King
- Brian D. Lalander
- Carmen J. Lara
- David J. Roesch
- Ryan Shaw
- Anna L. Stemple
- Casey Sullivan
- Gloria Tafoya
- Colton Teal