Cucharas River Volunteer Cleanup
Green Leaf Committee
The Walsenburg Green Leaf Committee was formed and met on March 19th, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. to form a plan of action for cleaning up the Cucharas River Basin between Yosidro bridge and Main Street bridge in Walsenburg as part of ongoing flood mitigation efforts.
- We are seeking volunteers to sign up and help clean the Cucharas River basin over at least the next 3 weekends beginning March 29 from 8 am. to 4 pm.
- You will need to fill out a volunteer application which is available at City Hall, Daily Perks or online here.
- Please come expecting to work 4 to 8 hours and dressed appropriately for the job. Plan to arrive at 8 am. or 12 noon.
The City Administrator will oversee this Volunteer Project in coordination with the Greenleaf Committee and Public Works Director David Harriman. Michael Brennan from the Streets and Parks Department will be on site as a supervisor, sawyer, and ensuring slash piles are hauled to the proper sites.
Objectives And Goals
- Clear The River Channel Of Stick And Debris
- Remove Fallen Timber First
- Remove All Other Debris From Channel
- Work Safely
City of Walsenburg will supply:
- Chainsaws, fuel, and oil
- Personnel for cutting “DOWNED TIMBERS”
- Equipment to haul the “SLASH" piles to a site for mulching
- Personal Protective Equipment — vests/glasses/gloves/hard-hats
- Yvonne Griego - Property Owner
- Christy McClendon - Property Owner
- Carmen Lara - Concerned citizen
- Gay Davis - Property Owner
- Gloria Tofoya - Property Owner
Clean Up Dates and Times
Clean up will be every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am. to 4 pm with sign-in times at 8am and 12 noon beginning March 29 and continuing throughout April