Reserve & National Guard Benefits, Education, and Records


Benefits for Reserve and National Guard

Reservists who serve on active duty establish veteran status and may be eligible for the full range of VA benefits depending on the length of active military service and discharge or release from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable.  Additionally, reservists not activated may qualify for some VA benefits.

National Guard members can establish eligibility for VA benefits if activated for federal service during a period of war or domestic emergency.  Activation for other than federal service does not qualify guard members for all VA benefits.  Claims for VA benefits based on federal service filed by National Guard members should include a copy of their military orders, presidential proclamation or executive order which clearly demonstrates the nature of the federal service.

Make an appointment with one of our qualified veteran service officers to discuss your individual case.


Health and Insurance Benefits

Full medical and dental coverage for any injury or illness incurred in the line of duty on active service.

State-Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) Current active members of the Colorado National Guard are automatically protected with $1,000 of SSLI at no charge. Additional coverage is available. or 1-800-462-7441.


Education Benefits

Colorado National Guard Tuition Assistance is available to any member of the CONG whose sole residency is Colorado. The CONG member is eligible for State Tuition Assistance up to 100% tuition paid at any approved Colorado state-funded school depending on funding available. State funding can be used in conjunction with Federal Tuition assistance.


Archival vs Federal (non-archival), Military Records
The opening of these records is part of the ongoing transfer of all OMPFs from the ownership of the military services to the legal custody of NARA, 62 years after the service member’s separation from the military. Separation from service is defined as discharge, retirement or death in service based on a rolling date. For example, if today’s date is January 1, 2016, then the discharge, retirement or date of death must be January 1, 1954 or before for the record to be considered archival. Archival records are no longer the property of the agencies that created them, in this case the Military Service Departments, but are records of the National Archives, open to the general public. See Archival Records to access these records.

Records of individuals who left service less than 62 years ago are non-archival and are maintained under the Federal Records Center program. Federal (non-archival) OMPFs are subject to access restrictions, and only limited information or copies of documents from these records may be released to the general public within the provisions of the law. The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act provide balance between the right of the public to obtain information from military service records and the right of the former military service member to protect his/her privacy. See Federal Records Center Program to access these records.

Based on a rolling date of 62 years, all military personnel records will eventually become archival records, open to the general public.


Reserve Records
Records may be found at:

National Guard Records
The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs Archives hold the military personnel records pertaining to, Retired members of the Colorado Army National Guard, Discharged members of the Colorado Army National Guard, Retired members of the Colorado Air National Guard and Discharged members of the Colorado Air National Guard. Due to the number of full time COARNG personnel that have been activated and deployed Archives may not have your records if you have were discharged or retired from the Colorado Army National Guard within the last 36 months. If we do not have your records you must contact the COARNG Military Personnel Office (MILPO) at 720-250-1330/1331 to determine the status of your records.


Applying for your Guard/Reserve Retired Pay

For most military members your retirement pay does not automatically appear in your bank account when you turn 60. In order to receive your retirement pay you must complete a Reserve Retired Pay Application first. Remember to return the packet on time (some branches mail it to you as early as your 58th birthday) otherwise  you may face penalties. For more information or to request your packet:


  • Air Force Reserve and National Guard: Air Reserve Personnel Center Retirements Branch – HQ ARPC/DPPR – 6760 E. Irvington Place, Denver, CO  80280-1900; 800-525-0102
  • Army Reserve and National Guard: US Army HRC Attn: AHRC-PDR-RCR, 1600 Spearhead Division Ave., Dept 420, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402; 800-813-5298 or 888-276-9472
  • Coast Guard Reserve: Commanding Officer, Coast Guard Personnel Center, 444 S.E. Quincy St., Topeka, KS 66683-3591; 785-339-2200 or 866-772-8724
  • Marine Corps Reserve: Marine Corps Mobilization Command, 15303 Andrews Road, Kansas City, MO 64147 ; 800-255-5082 ext. 3395/3396/3397/3398
  • Navy Reserve: Commanding Officer, Navy Reserve Personnel Center, 5722 Integrity Drive, Bldg. 239, Millington, TN 38054; 866-250-4778