Parks, Recreation, and Wildlife


Hunting and Fishing License

Under the Department of Natural Resources, the Division of Parks and Wildlife offers the following benefits. Hunting and Fishing Privileges Free lifetime combination small-game hunting and fishing license for a resident veteran with a permanent service-connected disability of 60% or more.

There is also no fee for a fishing license to a member of the armed forces who is a resident patient at a military hospital or convalescent station, any resident patient at a USDVA hospital located within the State, or any veteran who is permanently and totally disabled. The Department also recognizes those veterans with a Disabled Veterans License Plate by give free admission to any state park or recreation area. Allows those whom are rated 50% service connected to access campgrounds and obtain discounts. In order to obtain these benefits, the disabled veterans must supply a proof of disability letter from the Colorado Division of Veteran Affairs. To order the letter, call 303-284-6077.



Parks and Recreation Pass

Free admission to State Parks in August. Service members and Veterans may obtain a free Military August Pass allowing free entry to any Colorado State park or recreation area during the month of August annually. Free access covers admission only and does not include fees for campgrounds, yurts, or other amenities and services.

All active duty, reserve, and CONG members other than dishonorably discharged Veterans are eligible for free entry during August. Valid verification applies. The service member must be int he vehicle to use the pass.

Beginning in July annually, eligible applicants may obtain a free August Pass at every CPW office and park. Passes are not issues through license or pass agents or by phone.

Call 303-297-1192 or visit for more information.


Free admission on Veterans Day to all State Parks. Annually on November 11th Active duty and Veterans are admitted free to Colorado State parks. Proof of military service is required i.e DD214, in uniform, Colorado ID etc.). All other parks fees are still charged.


Free Admission to State Parks for Resident Disabled Veterans

Colorado Residents with current Colorado Disabled Veteran license plates may access Colorado State Parks free without a pass on the windshield. The vehicle must have the plates and the Veteran must be present.


Columbine Annual Pass

Qualifying Colorado disabled Veterans may apply for a Columbine Annual Pass with a reduced fee of $14.00. The pass is transferable between vehicles and the Veteran must be present in the vehicle. To apply, call 303-284-6077.


Discounted Camping

Disabled Veterans over 64 qualify for discounted camping in State parks Sunday – Thursday excluding holidays.