Education/Gi Bill/Post 9/11 GI Bill


Post-9/11 GI Bill


If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. The program has a few specific components, outlined below. You can also review the program pamphlet. If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before you can receive any benefits.


Types of Training

The following assistance is approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill:


GI Bill Comparison Tool

The Department of Veterans Affairs just announced the launch of VA’s new GI Bill Comparison Tool.  Now you can find information online about Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits and the schools and training programs available to education beneficiaries. The new tool was developed with the assistance of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Department of Defense and the Department of Education.

The GI Bill Comparison Tool provides key information about college affordability and brings together information from more than 17 different online sources and three federal agencies, including the number of students receiving VA education benefits at each school.

Link to the new GI Bill® Comparison Tool


Benefits and Eligibility

For approved programs, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Institutions of higher learning participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program may make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. The following payments may also be available:

  • Monthly housing allowance: for full-time, resident students, a monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing for your school’s zip code for a military E-5 with dependents. Distance learners receive have the BAH national average.
  • Tuition and fees at colleges, universitys, trade schools, and flight schools or on-the-job training and apprenticeships. It may also pay for licensing and certification tests.
  • Annual Books up to $1000
  • One-time rural benefit payment

Some Service members may also transfer unused GI Bill benefits to their dependents.

Other Factors to Consider

  • Full tuition and fees are paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students.
  • For those attending private or foreign schools, tuition and fees are capped at the national maximum rate.
  • If you’re attending a private  institution of higher learning in Arizona, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Texas, you may be eligible for a higher tuition reimbursement rate.
  • If you’re attending a private or a public institution of higher learning (either private or public) as a nonresident, out-of-state student you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program and entitled to additional education-related costs not covered by VA. Not everyone is eligible for this assistance.


Resident Tuition Rates for Veterans and Families

Honorably discharged members of the U.S. Armed Forces and their spouses and children who permanently move to Colorado qualify for resident tuition rates immediately. Transitioning military personnel or Veterans must establish or maintain domicile in the state of Colorado. i.e. registering to vote, registering a vehicle, obtaining a Colorado driver’s license.




Surviving Siblings

Matthew Freeman project
$1000 scholarships for siblings of those who have died in the lone of duty.


Surviving Spouses

$3000 scholarships per semester for spouses of those who have died on active duty.

National Military Family Association
$500-$2500 scholarships for surviving spouses of those who died while on active duty on or after September 11. 2001

Pat Tillman Foundation
Scholarships for surviving spouses of those who died on active duty, in veteran status or in retiree status.


Surviving Children

Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation
Available for children of those who died in the line of duty or of a service connected disability.

Freedom Alliance
Scholarships of up to $5000 for the children of those who died in the line of duty.

Fisher House Foundation – Heroes Legacy Scholarship
For children of those who died while on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
$30,000 for children of Marines killed in action; amount varies.

Special Ops Warrior Foundation
For surviving children of Special Operations Service Members who died int he line of duty.


Multiple Relationships

Army Emergency Relief Fund
For surviving spouses and children of Soldiers who die while of active duty or in retiree status.

Folds of Honor
$5000 scholarships for surviving spouses and children of service members who die int he lien of duty or from a service-connected disability.


Who do I contact if I need help with my education benefit?

See the attached document for contact info.



AGR Ability

The vision of AgrAbility is to enhance quality of life for farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural workers with disabilities. While the term “disability” often brings to mind conditions such as spinal cord injuries and amputations, AgrAbility addresses not only these but also many other conditions, such as arthritis, back impairments, and behavioral health issues.

Through education and assistance, AgrAbility helps to eliminate (or at least minimize) obstacles that inhibit success in production agriculture or agriculture-related occupations.

AgrAbility is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and consists of a National Project and State/Regional Projects (currently serving 24 states), each involving collaborative partnerships between land grant universities and various nonprofit disability services organizations.

Colorado AgrAbility Project


Need help finding a school?


Dependents Education Assistance


Dependents Education Resistance is the Chapter 35 Education benefit from the VA. Eligibility is determined by the VA Regional Office holding the Veterans file.

Those potentially eligible are the spouse and children of Veterans who died:

  • While on Active Duty
  • While permanently and totally disabled from a service connected disability
  • While a MIA, POW, or hostage

To check eligibility:


Can I transfer my education benefit to a dependent?

Yes and no. If you are no longer in the Military, no. If you are currently still serving yes if your dependent qualifies and is in DEERS.

Submitting a Transfer Request education


Go to the GI Bill website for your one stop shop for all your education needs.

Some of the resources include:

  • Finding a school
  • Applying on line
  • Verifying attendance
  • Montgomery GI Bill and other program help