Benefits, State Services and Discharge Catagories



There are many possible benefits available to you and your immediate family members including (qualifications apply for all benefits):

  • Military service compensation for injuries and illnesses caused, incurred or aggravated while on Active Duty
  • Pension
  • Aid and attendance/Housebound Allowance
  • Education 1-888-442-4551
  • Life insurance 1-800-669-8477
  • Home loans 1-888-244-6711
  • Vocational rehabilitation 303-914-5550
  • Dependent Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
  • VA medical treatment with enrollment
  • Counseling/Mental Health Care: Veterans may call 1-800-273 TALK (8255) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Press “1” for immediate help or text 83-8255.
  • Burial benefits
  • CHAMPVA/Health Administration 1-800-733-8387
  • Agent Orange Registry, Atomic Veteran Registry, and Gulf War Registry – call the VA Medical Center 1-888-336-8262 or 303-399-8020


State Programs and Services:

  • Benefits Representation for a variety of types of claims
  • Community Outreach and Advocacy
  • Colorado States Veterans Cemetery – Grand Junction, Colorado
  • Veterans Employment Preference and Benefit Letters
  • Operation Recognition
  • Colorado State and Veterans Nursing Homes
  • DD214 and Medals Request


Please note: some benefits depend on residency, military component, type of discharge and Veteran disability status.


Other than Honorable/Dishonorable Discharge

In general, a veteran loses all benefits if a dishonorable discharge was received. You may request an upgrade (see the dd214 page). A request for an upgrade is completed through the Department of Defense not the VA. Veterans with an Other than Honorable (OTH) and who have a medical condition, physical or mental, related to military service may be able to receive treatment through the VA if they file and are awarded a service-connected disability for their condition. In these cases, veterans can only receive medical treatment for their service-connected disability.


General and General Under less than Honorable Conditions

For VA purposes, this discharge category has nearly the same restrictions as a dishonorable discharge. However, contrary to popular belief, these discharges do not automatically upgrade to an honorable discharge after six months of a veteran leaving military service. In order to receive an upgrade to un under honorable conditions discharge, the veteran must apply for and receive the upgrade from the Department of Defense.