FULL-TIME TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR/TRAINEE
POSITION TITLE: PLANT OPERATOR
RESPONSIBLE TO: PLANT SUPERINTENDENT
Under the direction of the plant superintendent and operations staff, learns the procedures for the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant. Normal work schedule varies due to shift work.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Assists co-workers in the daily operation of the wastewater treatment plant.
- Performs routine inspection of equipment, grounds, facilities, and overall condition of the treatment plant. Under the guidance of the plant superintendent, interprets process control data and makes the required operational changes in plant operation.
- Assists the Laboratory Director in performing daily and weekly monitoring, testing and reporting of all in house process control data in addition to N.P.D.E.S. required reporting.
- Must be able to obtain a State of Colorado Class “D” certification within 1 year of employment.
- Employee works a rotating shift schedule, is required to work weekends, holidays, and be on call for emergency situations.
- Will work after hours emergencies as required.
- Will cross train with collection system personnel when required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Plant Superintendent, Chief Operator, and District Manager.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School or equivalent education required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to learn federal, state, and local laws as they affect the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities.
- Ability to learn the theory, principles, and the practices, of a wastewater treatment facility.
- Ability to learn the basic principles of chemistry as it pertains to wastewater treatment.
- Ability to learn the operation and maintenance of electrical, mechanical, and chemical processes as it relates to wastewater treatment.
- Skill in the use of a personal computer and various applications programs.
- Skill in interpreting the readings of test gauges and meters used in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Ability to learn the operational procedures, laboratory procedures, and maintenance procedures as they pertain to treatment plant operation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to learn and follow all District safety policies and practices.
- Learn and interpret treatment plant diagrams, blueprints, and equipment operation manuals.
SPECIAL LICENSES OR CERTIFICATE REQUIRED
- Certification as a Class D Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator by the State of Colorado within one year of employment.
- Valid State of Colorado Driver’s License.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle and feel tools or controls. Must be able to speak, hear, and smell. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able to frequently lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, vibrations, fumes, and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. Employee will work around high voltage equipment. The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate but on occasion can be loud.
The employee must reside within 30 minutes response time of the Wastewater Treatment Plant and have telephone facilities enabling the treatment plant’s emergency telephone system to notify the employee in the event of a plant emergency call.