Meter Upgrade - Smart Meters
The Town of Estes Park Utilities Department is upgrading to Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), or smart meters, to better serve the community.
Automated Meter Reading (AMR) – or “drive by” – meters have been in place throughout Estes Park for about 20 years. Replacing the current AMR meters with smart meters enables digital communication between the meter and the utility. Benefits:
- Enhances Service: Smart meters increase quality and reliability. They enable remote electric outage notification to staff resulting in faster service response and shorter outages, as well as the ability to detect some water leaks.
- Helps the Environment: By using smart meters, staff can avoid many vehicle miles traveled to gather billing information. This reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- Taps into Technology: Smart meters form the backbone of the smart grid and are a critical link in our ability to integrate rooftop solar and other forms of distributed generation. Over time, this system will provide more benefit from emerging technologies and more advanced water system modeling.
For more information:
- Installation Schedule and Process
- How they Work
- Questions? Contact Sarah Clark, Light & Power Administrative Assistant, at 970-577-3627 or firstname.lastname@example.org.