Historic Fall River Hydroplant

History

Constructed in 1909 to produce electricity for the Stanley Hotel and surrounding areas, F. O. Stanley sold the plant to the Public Service Company of Colorado in 1928. In 1945, the Town of Estes Park purchased and maintained the Hydroplant until it was severely damaged in 1982 by the Lawn Lake Flood.

The Historic Fall River Hydroplant was restored and opened to the public as an interpretive center in 2002 and features original equipment installed by Stanley, machinery from an addition in 1921, and a diesel unit installed by the Public Service Company in 1938. Interpretive panels document the growth of Estes Park, its insatiable need for electricity, and the Lawn Lake Flood disaster.

The Historic Fall River Hydroplant is open by appointment, to make reservations for a tour please contact the Curator of Interpretation, Mikaela Fundaun at mfundaun@estes.org or 970-577-3762.

View the staff directory

 

Contact the Museum:
200 Fourth St.
Estes Park, CO 80517
970-586-6256