Contractor Licensing

Building Contractor Licenses verify qualifications of contractors performing work within the Estes Park town limits. Please refer to the links below to determine whether or not you need a building contractor license.

There is no fee for a contractor license issued by the Town of Estes Park Division of Building Safety. However, a Town Business License is required prior to the issuance of the contractor license.

Who Needs a Contractor License?

General contractors working within the Town limits needs contractor licenses with the Town of Estes Park. A homeowner, tenant or subcontractor may not be required to have a contractor license. For specifics refer to the FAQ pdfs provided through the link at the bottom of the page.

Contractors that are licensed through the State of Colorado are not required to have a contractor license through the Town (engineers, architects, SPLS, electricians, plumbers).

If you have questions about whether you need a building contractor license contact the Division of Building Safety at 970-577-3721.

Types of Contractor Licenses

The Building Safety Division grants several different types of contractor licenses. The most common are listed below.

  • General Contractor - Class B
  • General Contractor - Class C
  • Plumbing-Mechanical-Gas - Class B
  • Plumbing-Mechanical-Gas - Class C
  • Special:
    • Carpentry
    • Roofing
    • Signs
    • and more...

Why Not Issue General Contractor - Class A Licenses?

There are no structures within the Town of Estes Park that are greater than 3 stories, requiring a General Contractor - Class A License. Because the Building Safety Division has no means to evaluate work done on such structures, they do not issue General Contractor - Class A licenses. They will accept reciprocal class A licenses from other jurisdictions.