EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 2016, the day-to-day administration of the Town of Bow Mar Building Department moves to the Bow Mar office at Columbine Valley Town Hall:
2 Middlefield Road
Columbine Valley, CO 80123
Hours: 8am – 4pm, Monday through Friday
All Building Plans, Building Permits, and contractor licensing will be administered through this office.
Staff are available to answer all questions concerning necessary forms and procedures, to administer permits, to issue licenses, permits, and Certificates of Occupancy, as well as to collect payments.
Additionally, contractors will obtain licenses here.
The procedures of the Building Department will remain the same and are detailed in this section.
Jane Carlson, Building Commissioner, 303-795-2002 or email@example.com, is available to answer general project questions. Terry Weis, Bow Mar Building Inspector, 303-522-3331 reviews all plans and conducts all inspections.
One set of plans for each ongoing project will be retained at the Bow Mar Building Department office.
Construction of all new buildings and structures as well as most improvements or renovations on property in the Town of Bow Mar require adherence to set procedures. New building and renovations of existing homes are both under the joint jurisdiction of The Town of Bow Mar and Bow Mar Owners, Inc. (BMOI). This portion of the website presents detail on the procedures you need to follow for authorization.
Authorization for construction involves a two-step process and two application forms, which you can link to immediately below as well as throughout this section. Scroll down for details on necessary procedures, required forms and documentation, and other important details.
Step 1 requires approval from BMOI’s Architectural Control Committee (ACC).
Architectural Control Committee Application for Review See below for details on necessary procedures, required materials, and other important information.
Step 2 requires issuance of the appropriate a Building Permit by the Town.
Building Permit Application with Plan Review See below for details on necessary procedures, required materials, and other important information.
If demolition of an existing structure is planned, a Demolition Permit Application is required. Click here for Demolition Permit Application.
The Non-Structural Building Application form is needed for interior modifications that do not require a plan review, such as water heater replacement, furnaces, changes in electrical service and/or gas lines as well as some exterior projects such as fences, fireplaces, air conditioning units, sheds, stucco installation, and windows – please contact the Bow Mar Building Department at 303-795-2063 with your questions.
When a new roof or roof repairs are necessary, please submit the Roofing Permit Application.Click here for Roofing Permit Application.
The Roofing Permit Application is needed for roofing projects that do not require structural changes. If your project includes structural changes to your roof, please submit the Building Permit Application with Plan Review form.
Exceptions – Landscaping modifications that can affect neighbors’ views, such as new shrubs and trees or which substantially alters existing landscaping or property contours such as berms must be approved by the ACC but require only Step 1.Additionally, fences must be approved by ACC.
Step 1 – ACC Review
Architectural Control Committee Application for Review Please Note: this link is to the same form listed above.
The Covenants state: “No building, fence, wall, or other structure shall be commenced, erected, maintained, or altered on the Property, or any portion thereof, until the building plans, specifications, and plot plan, including without limitation all shrubs and trees, have been approved in writing . . . .” ACC reviews each project for aesthetic harmony, exterior materials and colors, and evaluates conformance to setback, height, and lot coverage. Due to varying site characteristics, each Application is reviewed solely on its own merit, independent from prior submittals. In cases where a variance is sought, ACC may take recommendations to the Town of Bow Mar Board of Trustees regarding any aesthetic harmony justification for the variance.
The ACC meets the second Tuesday of each month. A completed Application as listed below must be submitted to any member of ACC no later than the 24th day of the month preceding the monthly meeting at which the application is to be examined. The homeowner MUST be present at the ACC meeting for the project to be discussed.
Application Required Documentation (2 copies)
1. ACC Guidelines and Architectural Control Committee Application for Review– also available from any ACC Member. (Again, please note, the second link is to the same form presented above.)
2. Plot Plan Drawing, to scale, showing the proposed structure and/or modifications as it a relates to the existing structure and its position on the property with exact dimensions including property lines, setback lines, existing and proposed lot contours and surface runoff flow plus relevant elevations of the structures and the lot. A registered survey is necessary for new construction and helpful for additions to prevent erroneous or estimated property boundaries.
Distances from new structures and additions to the property lines and setback lines must be shown. Any building, structures, or other improvements to be constructed in the 40-foot front, sides, or rear setback areas may require a variance from the Town of Bow Mar.
3. Floor Plan(s) Drawings to scale showing existing and proposed construction and associated floor area totals.
4. Roof Plan Drawing indicating existing and proposed construction.
5. Exterior Elevation Drawings of the four side views indicating to scale existing and proposed construction, materials, colors, and elevation of roof ridge in relation to the highest approved ground point located on the front setback line of the property between the property’s side lot lines. The top of roof height limit is 16 feet above this point for all properties except those on the isthmus, where it is 18 feet.
6. Exterior Color(s) descriptions or samples. It is suggested that prior to extensive design effort and formal submittal, applicants consider attending an ACC meeting to provide ACC with preliminary conceptual drawings or sketches.
ACC approval is valid for 180 days.
If construction has not commenced within this period,
plans must be resubmitted to ACC for approval.
Step 2 – Building Permit
Building Permit Application with Plan Review. Please Note: This is a link to the same form listed above.
Upon ACC approval (if needed), Construction Plans and Specifications are submitted to the Town of Bow Mar Building Department for Building Permit(s).
This involves “Plan Review” to assure conformance to applicable building codes. A “Plan Review” checklist is available from the Building Commissioner.
1. Two (2) sets of Construction Drawings including
Structural drawings, that latter stamped by a professional engineer with current State of Colorado licensure.
2. Soils test report.
3. Asbestos report, if applicable
4. A check for the permit made payable to “Town of Bow Mar.” This check needs to be submitted with the 2 sets of construction plans. Contact the Building Department who will determine the amount of the permit check, which will be based on the value of the project.
Periodic Inspections are made by the Building Inspector during construction to assure compliance both with ACC’s approved plans and with applicable building codes and Town of Bow Mar ordinances.
Building Permits are valid for 360 days.
If construction is not complete within this period,
the Building Commissioner may assess monetary penalties.