Building Permits

When Are Building Permits Required?

Building Permits are required on interior and exterior work on your property.  Reviewing the Design Guidelines and the Town Code is essential in undersatnding the regluations for permits.   This is Step 2 outlined on the Building Procedures page.


Please submit your permit application to the Building Department directly, as this is handled by Columbine Valley.

2 Middlefield Road, Columbine Valley, CO 80123

Phone: 303-795-2063

You will need one or more of the following permit applications.

You will also need a Contractor License - Infomation can be found on the Building Procedures Page.


Below is a listing of each permit application: please ensure you are submittng the appropriate application.

Building Permit Application with Plan Review.  Click here.

Demolition Permit Application. Click here.

Non-Structiural Building Permit Application.  Click here.

Roofing Permit Application. Click here.

Building Permits are needed for all new interior and exterior construction and remodels. Permits are also required for most improvement and repair work you want for your home.

Examples include:

  • air conditioner  

  • deck                 

  • evaporative cooler

  • fence

  • furnace replacement 

  • garden shed

  • gas log or fireplace insert

  • hot tub

  • kitchen cabinets

  • kitchen countertops

  • outdoor gas-fired pit or chiminea

  • outdoor permanent gas grill

  • plumbing replacement - concealed trap; drainpipe; water, soil, or waste vent pipe

  • roof replacement

  • sauna

  • stucco application

  • swimming pool

  • water heater replacement     

Repair and maintenance work exempt from permit include:

  • minor electrical repair and maintenance

  • movable cases, counter, and partitions not over 5 ft high

  • painting, papering, and similar work

  • plumbing repairs to existing drains and pipes (permit required when traps, drains, and pipes must be replaced)

  • portable mechanicals such as portable heating, ventilation, and cooling appliances              

  • some window awnings supported by an exterior wall


    If you have questions, please check with Jane Carlson, Building Commissioner, when you are planning a home-improvement project. Contact email is: Phone number is: 303-795-2002