2020 Census

Every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau sets out to get a head count of everyone residing in the United States. The Census counts people of all ages, races, and ethnic groups to get an accurate measure of the U.S. population. These population totals are used to determine the number of seats each state has in the House of Representatives, how federal and state legislative districts are redrawn, and the appropriation of federally funded programs. 

For Colorado, an accurate census count is essential. Federal state and local governments, businesses, nonprofits, and foundations rely on Census data to allocate funding, understand how the community is changing, and promote economic development. 

2020 Census at a Glance

The administration of the decennial census is managed by the U.S. Census Bureau. Local governments, schools, not-for-profit organizations, and the general public can follow the preparations for the 2020 Census. We can support the census by communicating the importance of the census to our residents, students, clients, neighbors, and friends.

The U.S. Census Bureau is also recruiting thousands of people across the county to assist with the 2020 Census count. They are hiring for a variety of temporary jobs, including census takers, recruiting assistants, office staff and supervisory staff. To be eligible, you must be at least 18 years old, have a valid Social Security number and be a U.S. citizen.

Current open positions can be found online here.

The Census Bureau is collecting census forms in four ways:

  1. Online, using the internet or a cell phone.
  2. Over the telephone, by calling the census call center.
  3. Using a paper form.
  4. Responding to a census enumerator.

Census forms are available in 13 different languages.  

Ten questions will be asked:

  1. Name
  2. Phone number
  3. Age
  4. Sex
  5. Hispanic origin
  6. Race
  7. Relationship to householder
  8. Household tenure (own/rent)
  9. Number of persons in the household
  10. Does a person usually stay or live somewhere else?

Census Day is April 1, 2020. Data collection will begin on March 23,2020 and continue through August 2020. Households will receive a postcard with instructions for completing the census beginning in March 2020.

All data is protected under Title 13 of the U.S. Code. Records are confidential for 72 years by law. All Census Bureau employees swear a lifetime oath to protect respondent information. The U.S. Census Bureau will never share a respondent’s personal information with other government agencies. Data is only released in summary tables; no individual records are released.

More information on the 2020 Census can be found online here

Census 2020


2020 Census Address Canvassing 


The Census Bureau is able to verify 65% of resident's addresses using satellite imagery, so they need address canvasing to verify the remaining 35% of addresses in the united states.


Census Bureau employees (listers) have started walking through neighborhoods across the country checking addresses not verified using their new software. In-field address canvassing will continue through mid-October.


To help identify address listers, employees will have badges and briefcases indicating their affiliation with the Census Bureau. They will knock on doors and ask a few simple questions to verify the address and any additional living quarters on the property for inclusion in the census.


Employees will introduce themselves as a Census Bureau employee, show their official government ID badge, and explain the purpose of the visit. People may also ask them for a picture ID from another source to confirm their identity.

More information on Census canvassing can be found online here