Sign Up for an Individual Revenue Online Account
Individual, Corporation, Fiduciary and Partnership accounts must file a return with the Colorado Department of Revenue. The tax account is established when the first return is filed. Then the account may be accessed in Revenue Online.
Exception: For security reasons, access to an individual income tax account ALSO requires a Letter ID number. If you have received a recent letter from the Department, you may use the Letter ID number located in the upper right corner of Department tax letters. If you do not have a recent letter, you may request a Letter ID number in the Revenue Online service under “Additional Services” and “Request a Letter ID.”
A letter containing the “Letter ID” number will be sent by postal mail to the address on record with the Department. It could take up to 10 business days to receive this letter.
1. Go to Revenue Online website: www.colorado.gov/revenueonline. In the Sign Up section, select: Create a Login ID.
2. Check your access eligibility
You are an eligible individual with the state of Colorado if you have ever filed an individual income tax return
What registered individual will need:
- Social Security Number
- Valid email address
- Zip code of your residency location
- Federal adjusted gross income amount on
- last filed return or PIN or recent Letter ID,
- or refund amount
Note: A letter containing the “Letter ID” number will be sent by postal mail to the address on record with the Department. You may request a Letter ID number in the Additional Services (No Login Required). It could take up to 10 business days to receive the letter. If you have received a recent letter from the Department, you may use the Letter ID number located in the upper right corner of Department tax letters.
3. Each required field will be outlined in orange. Some fields change/appear based on the options you choose. Fill out each item as completely as possible.
4. Enter Taxpayer information
5. Enter login information
Note: A best practice is to choose “Send Text or Email,” in case one method of transmittal does not work to receive an authentication code. Please update your wireless carrier when you switch to a different service provider. Even though you have the same phone number, the system may not recognize your device, so it may prevent receiving an authentication code. Please make sure you remember the Login ID and Password you created.
6. Enter Account Information
Note: Individual income tax login creation example screenshot.
7. After clicking on the “OK” button, Revenue Online prompts you to enter your email address twice to get a confirmation number.
Note: when your account information provided by you does not match the information in the system, you will receive a rejection email. The email subject line is “Subject: Colorado Department of Revenue - Revenue Online Account Access.”
8. You will see a confirmation page on your screen
Note: The confirmation number is your registration information, not an authentication code.
9. You will receive a one-time authentication code either via email or text message depend on a choice that you made in Step 2 (Item #5 in these instructions). When you receive it via email, the email subject line is “Colorado Department of Revenue - Revenue Online Account Access Complete.”
10. Once you have your authentication code, return to the Revenue Online website. In the “Log In” section, enter your Login ID and Password, then click “Log In.”
Note: When the system prompts you to enter the authentication code, you have the option to remember your computer or device by clicking the button labeled “Yes, Remember This Device.” Going through this process places a file on your device called a cookie that is recognized by the system during future logins, and will then allow you to skip the authentication process. Only select this option if others are not using the same device or will not be able to access your information.