Identity Theft

Report Suspected Identity Theft

First, report the suspected identity theft to local law enforcement and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The CBI is available 24 hours per day via their Identity Theft & Fraud Hotline at (855) 443-3489. 
After filing a report with law enforcement, you may also wish to file a report with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by visiting their website or calling (877) 438-4338. 

Tax ID Theft

If you believe your tax identification number has been stolen and someone has filed a Colorado tax return under your Social Security Number (SSN), please fill out the Report Possible Tax Refund Fraud Form. You may also call the Taxpayer Helpline at (303) 205-8292 for additional assistance from the Colorado Department of Revenue.
If you receive a notice from the IRS that leads you to believe someone may have used your SSN fraudulently, please notify the IRS immediately by contacting your local IRS office or by utilizing the IRS Identity Verification Service. If you suspect your tax identification number has been stolen but you have not received a notice from the IRS, fill out the IRS Form 14039: Indentity Theft Affidavit and send it to the address listed on the form. If you need additional assistance from the IRS, you may call (800) 908-4490.
If you suspect your tax identification number has been stolen, you may also wish to report it to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment (CDLE).
  • SSA Phone:  (800) 772-1213
  • CDLE Phone: (303) 318-8441