Fuel Refund Account

Application Procedures

To apply for a refund permit and account you must complete a Gasoline/Special Fuel Tax Refund Permit Application (DR 7189) and submit it to the Colorado Department of Revenue. The application may be submitted before or at the time of the first refund claim. If you are licensed for the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), you must mark the “yes” checkbox on the application.

Approved Exemption Percentage

Upon approval of the application, the department will issue a refund permit/account number and refund claim forms with the approved exemption percentage to calculate the amount of the refund allowed. Written notification will be sent four to five weeks after the application is received at the Department of Revenue. The approved exemption percentages are established from the historical average in an industry or from an industry study provided by an industry group. Your application must identify the industry that accurately describes your business, fuel use, and equipment.

Change in Business Operations Affecting Fuel Use and the Exempt Percentage

If you have a change in business operations, which affects your business’s fuel use on an established account, provide the Excise Tax Section with information to support the change for review and approval. Documentation must be submitted to show the business change, change in equipment, and the change in operations to include exempt, non-exempt, and total fuel usage.

The documentation must include actual records for a year to account for cyclical or seasonal change affecting the business. Suggested data might include equipment and vehicle records and fuel use, actual mileage over the road, miles per gallon, and include inventory records of fuel and equipment. Any request for a change without supporting documentation will be disallowed. Accessing your Exempt Fuel Refunds Account in Revenue Online. See How to Sign Up for Access. Once you are inside your Department of Revenue tax account in Revenue Online, click on the specific tax account you want to view (EXF for Exempt Fuel Refunds). You will see all of the claims you have already filed.

Business Ownership Changes 

Refund permits/accounts are not transferable. A new application must be submitted for new businesses or changes in ownership.

How to Report Account Changes

Any changes in the nature of the business, account name, DBA, ownership, address, equipment, storage capacity, or fuel use must be sent in writing to the: 

Colorado Department of Revenue 
Fuel Tax Unit, Room 200 
PO Box 17087
Denver, CO 80217-0087