Fiduciary Income Tax | Filing Information

Filing Requirements

Every resident estate or trust and nonresident estate or trust with Colorado-source income must file a Colorado fiduciary income tax return if it is required to file a federal income tax return or if it has a Colorado tax liability. Also, if the estate is in probate, the table on the Cost of Living Adjustment on Certain Dollar Amount for Property of Estates in Probate may be needed to file a return. The Colorado fiduciary income tax return is due by the fifteenth day of the fourth month following the close of the taxable year, or by April 15th for calendar year filing. 

File Online

You can file your Fiduciary Income Tax Return online through Revenue Online. However, if you are a first-time Colorado income tax filer, you must file a paper return or through an accepted tax software program. After your first tax return is processed, you may create your own User ID and Password to use in Revenue Online. For more information, review the instructions in How to Create a Login and Access to Revenue Online or visit the Revenue Online How-To web page.

Estimated Payments

Estimated tax payments are not required for fiduciary income tax. However, if you want to make an estimated payment, you can submit your payment through Revenue Online or by sending a check with Estate and Trust Estimated Payment Form (DR 0105EP).

Filing An Extension

Colorado Fiduciary Income Tax Returns are due 3 1/2 months after the end of your fiscal year, or by April 15th for calendar year filing. If you are unable to file by the due date, you may file an extension. Payment will still be due on the due date. However, an extension will allow you an additional six months to file your return, or until October 15th for calendar year filers. 

Amending Your Return

A change or correction to your return may be made through Revenue Online. If you are unable to file online, you may also file using a paper return. Be sure to check the "Amended Return" box on the corrected DR 0105. Any adjustment made on a federal amended return must be reported and the Colorado income tax adjusted accordingly. Any adjustments made by the IRS must be reported to Colorado by attaching the revenue agent’s report (RAR) to the amended return. See §39-22-601(6), C.R.S. for more information.

Best Practices Guide

To assist taxpayers and tax professionals in accurately completing their income tax returns, the Colorado Department of Revenue publishes Income Tax Best Practices Guide on an annual basis. Additional resources for Certified Public Accountants (CPA) and other tax professionals can be found on the Tax Professionals web page.