International Fuel Tax Agreement | License Requirements

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement between member jurisdictions to simplify the reporting of motor fuel use taxes. All 48 contiguous states and 10 Canadian provinces are members. A complete list of the member jurisdictions can be found on the International Fuel Tax Association Web site

Any person who is based in a member jurisdiction and operates a qualified motor vehicle(s) in two or more member jurisdictions is required to obtain an IFTA license, unless an election is made to satisfy motor fuels use tax obligations on a trip-by-trip basis. An IFTA license can be obtained at the same time a truck is registered for the International Registration Plan (IRP). 

Requirements to obtain International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) credentials are:

  • Valid business registration with the Colorado Secretary of State
  • Your vehicle must have a valid Colorado registration - either International Registration Plan (IRP) or a county registration.  A temporary  county registration is not eligible. If you are not registered with IRP, please include a copy of your Colorado vehicle registration(s) with your IFTA application.
  • The name and Federal Tax ID Number on the IFTA application must match the registrant information for the registered vehicle.
  • You can not be out of compliance with the IFTA program for another state or Canadian Province.
  • You can not owe the Department IFTA taxes or returns. 
  • If you have a lease agreement in effect and the Lessee is responsible for filing the IFTA, the Lessee is responsible to request the decals. Both the registrant and the responsible party must complete the IFTA Lease Agreement Certificate (DR 7511) and provide a copy of the Lessor vehicle registration.

If you meet these requirements, visit the License Information web page for information on how to apply for an IFTA License.