DORA kicks off 2017 National Consumer Protection Week with 9NEWS helpline and Consumer Protection Resource Fair
DENVER (March 6, 2017) -- The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) joins dozens of government agencies and nonprofit organizations across America this week to recognize and celebrate National Consumer Protection Week, March 5-11 (#NCPW2017). DORA’s efforts include continuing its award-winning “Take 5 to Get Wise - Ask DORA” consumer awareness and education campaign to help Coloradans understand the variety of tools and resources the Department offers to become better-informed consumers and where to turn for help.
As the state’s consumer protection agency, DORA and its nine divisions — Banking, Civil Rights, Financial Services, Insurance, Professions and Occupations, Real Estate, Securities, Office of Consumer Counsel and the Public Utilities Commission — are working to raise awareness about available consumer protection resources to Coloradans through a variety of events throughout National Consumer Protection Week and beyond.
“Consumer protection is our mission. Our goal is to help empower Colorado consumers, and to help protect them from predatory practices, scams and fraud by providing tools and information that could be crucial in their decision-making process,” noted DORA Executive Director Joe Neguse. “This both helps the consumer as well as encourages a fair marketplace.”
The week will kick-off with DORA representatives appearing on 9NEWS’ call-in helpline on Monday, March 6 from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Consumers can call in to ask their questions about how to verify a professional license, file a complaint, and use other online tools available through both DORA’s award-winning consumer site, askDORA.colorado.gov, and CO Health Professional Check, colorado.gov/cohpc. The number to call is 303-698-0999. Also, on Friday, March 10, DORA will appear on KUSA’s Colorado & Co. to discuss consumer protection.
The Department will also host a series of events across the state to engage and educate consumers, including on March 9 when DORA will offer a Consumer Protection Resource Fair at the University of Colorado-Boulder campus and be joined by other organizations, such as Capital One Bank, the Better Business Bureau, Boulder District Attorney’s Office, Boulder County Human Services, Colorado Department of Revenue – Fraud and Investigations Unit, and many local organizations to provide free informational resources to consumers. The event takes place at the University of Colorado-Boulder’s Kittredge Hall Central Multi-Purpose Room located at 2480 Kittredge Loop Drive Boulder, CO 80310 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
DORA will also be present at other consumer protection-related events throughout the month of March, including The Center for African American Health’s Annual Collaborative Health Fair on March 11 and the Denver Home Show on March 17. Several divisions within DORA will conduct specialized training sessions for varying audiences, which include:
- On March 7, the Colorado Civil Rights Division (CCRD) will host an anti-discrimination training session for employers and employees. See all CCRD trainings.
- Also on March 7, the Division of Real Estate will hold an HOA Information and Resource Center consumer protection forum "Understanding Your Rights Under The CCIOA law." Click here to sign up.
- On March 9, the Division of Securities is joining Stop Fraud Colorado for a twitter chat on Identity Theft for military personnel (#milchat).
- On March 13, tune-in for the first live webcast of the Division of Real Estate’s first HOA monthly update call-in show. Click here to sign up.
- The Public Utilities Commission will conduct a training session for Denver Public Library employees on IP Relay Services so they can better assist consumers who want to use the services but don't know how. This will allow the deaf and hard of hearing community to more effectively utilize library services and more effectively communicate with the hearing world.
Finally, in addition, a variety of helpful information and tips, social media chats, webinars and more will be available through DORA’s social media channels on Facebook, facebook.com/Dora.Colorado.gov, and Twitter, twitter.com/DORAcolorado (@DORAColorado).
Look for #Take5CO and follow the “Ask DORA Owl” throughout National Consumer Protection Week! More information is available on askDORA.colorado.gov.