- What is the county sales tax breakdown?
|State Sales Tax:||
|County Sales Tax:||6.5%|
|COUNTY TOTAL SALES TAX:||9.4%|
|Town of Silverton (Add if within town limits)||1.0%|
|TOTAL SALES TAX WITHIN SILVERTON:||10.4%|
• What is the largest structure I can build without a permit? If your improvement costs more than $500 or is over 100 square feet, a permit is needed.
• What is the required snow load? Snow Load = 90 PSF
• What are the basic wind speeds? 70 mph
• What must the frost line be at? Minimum of 42 inches below ground
• How do I start the development process for a commercial business, subdivision, etc.? Contact Planning at 970.387.5766 to discuss what the project entails.
• Can I build a cabin on a mining claim? Yes, cabins can be built on mining claims. Issues such as access and boundaries must be addressed, as well as sight line, size, geographic and hazard considerations.
• Do I need an avalanche study? When building on a mining claim, you must get a survey. Once this is completed, an avalanche study may be necessary to locate building sites.
• Do I need an engineer to design my septic system? Yes, all septic systems in San Juan County must be designed by a licensed engineer.
- I applied for Senior Exemption last year. Do I need to re-apply this year? No. Once you have a senior exemption, you do not need to re-apply.
- By when do I have to submit my Property Valuation Appeal? Your appeal must be postmarked by June 1. Also, you MUST write in a value that you believe your property was worth as of the previous June and it must be signed
- Is there any county-held property this year? No. As of our 2019 tax sale, there are no county-held properties.