Motor Vehicle Body Style Change
Submitted by bgerade on 7/24/2019, 8:37AM.
When changing plate types, the body style on the title must be corrected.
Truck/Tractor Interchangeable Body Styles
- Owners of truck/tractor vehicles sometimes interchange body styles and vehicle types by adding and/or removing the 5th wheel hitch/bed. The appropriate license plate to issue to this vehicle type is illustrated below.
- Title shows the vehicle as a truck-tractor (TT)
- The vehicle is issued light truck or GVW plates depending upon the weight of the vehicle.
- The 5th wheel hitch is removed and a truck bed is attached and the vehicle pulls a trailer. The plate issued should be a GVW truck plate. The calculated weight will be the empty weight of the truck which is the power unit, the truck bed, the empty weight of the trailer that will be pulled and the heaviest load that will be hauled. The placement of the truck pates on the tractor unit should be as follows:
- When the truck bed is affixed to the tractor, the placement of the GVW truck plates will be one in the front and one in the rear (tabs attached)
- When the 5th wheel unit is attached, the placement of the GVW truck plates on the tractor unit should be as follows:
Remove the front plate (no tabs attached) and retain inside the power unit.
Remove the rear plate (tabs attached) and display on the front of the power unit.