BLM Tres Rios Field Office Implements Stage 2 Fire Restrictions
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Shannon Borders, 970-240-5399 or Chris Asbjorn, 970-240-5317
BLM Tres Rios Field Office implements stage 2 fire restrictions
MONTROSE, Colo. – On Monday, June 4, Stage 2 Fire Restrictions go into effect within the Bureau of Land Management Tres Rios Field Office and Canyons of the Ancients National Monument including BLM managed lands in Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata, Montezuma, Montrose, and San Miguel counties.
The following acts are prohibited under Stage 2 Fire Restrictions on BLM lands:
· Building, maintaining, attending or using an OPEN FLAME, including fire, campfire, stove fire, charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves, and devices (stoves, grills or lanterns) using liquid fuel such as white gas or kerosene. This prohibition applies to all public lands within the Tres Rios Field Office and Canyon of the Ancients National Monument, including Wilderness Study Areas and developed camping and picnic grounds in Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata, Montezuma, Montrose, and San Miguel Counties.
· Exception: Operating a stove, lantern, or other device using pressurized gas canisters (isobutene or propane) equipped with a valve that allows the operator to immediately turn the flame on and off.
· Exception: Within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building.
· WELDING or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
- Using an EXPLOSIVE. This includes but is not limited to fuses or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, and tracers or incendiary ammunition.
- Operating a CHAINSAW without an approved spark arresting device, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (8 oz. capacity by weight or larger and kept with the operator) and a round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use, or outside of the restricted hours of 5am – 1pm.
- All TARGET SHOOTING – To include Discharging a FIREARM, air rifle, or gas gun.
- Possessing or using a MOTOR VEHICLE OFF ESTABLISHED ROADS, motorized trails or established parking areas, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the vehicle.
- Except for parking overnight in developed campgrounds and trailheads.
- The use of fireworks, flares, or other incendiary devices, including exploding targets, are always prohibited on federal lands.
Exemptions to the Stage 2 Fire Restrictions include authorized activities of any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting effort in the performance of an official duty. Additionally, holders of valid BLM permits, leases and authorizations are allowed to conduct approved activities, but are advised to take extra precautions to prevent fire starts.
Visit https://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/dispatch_centers/r2drc/RESTRICTIONS.HTML or call the BLM Southwest District Fire Management Information Hotline at 970-240-1070 for maps and updates to local fire restrictions. The BLM continuously monitors the conditions throughout the area and will modify the restrictions as needed.
- BLM -
Public Affairs Specialist
Bureau of Land Management
2465 S. Townsend Ave.
Montrose, CO 81401