Provisional certification is an interim certification that affords a qualified out-of-state officer the opportunity to obtain employment as a Colorado peace officer while completing the requirements for Basic certification. Please note that Provisional certification candidates must have required paperwork and forms submitted and approved by Colorado POST prior to starting employment with an agency.
Officers who are fully certified in another state (or certain federal law enforcement agencies), and have served for a minimum of one year within the last three years qualify for Provisional certification. If you do not meet the requirements, you must attend a full Basic academy.
While you may apply for positions and advise the agencies that you are undergoing the Provisional process, you MUST receive your Provisional letter prior to beginning employment!
- If you have worked with an out-of-state agency within six months and have completed all of the paperwork, POST will issue a Provisional Certification letter. You will have up to six months to take the POST written certification exam, as well as the skills exams.
- If you have a break in service of longer than six months, you must pass the written POST certification examination prior to receiving Provisional certification. You may begin working for an agency and will have six months to complete the three skills tests to receive Basic certification.
If an applicant does not meet all criteria for Provisional Certification a variance can be requested.
Contact InformationFor questions regarding Provisional certification: 720-508-6724 or click to email.
- Review the Instructions for Submitting Fingerprints. Submit the Fingerprint Card Order Form and a certified check or money order for $5.00 made out to Colorado POST by US mail, or visit the Online Payment portal to order and pay for your fingerprint card. Alternately, you may go to a CBI-authorized CABS vendor, as referenced on the second page of the Instructions for Submitting Fingerprints.
- Provisional Forms Packet This packet contains instructions and forms for Provisional application
- Supplemental Provisional/Renewal Materials Packet This packet contains the Curriculum Bibliography, Study Recommendations, and Basic Academy Requirements for your convenience.
- Skills Proficiency Manual This manual gives detailed information on what to expect when demonstrating your proficiency in the skills areas. (Packet is set to print double sided)
Please submit all application materials for Provisional certification here: firstname.lastname@example.org
FLATROCK Training CenterAdams County Sheriff's Office FLATROCK Training Facility
23600 E 128th Ave, Commerce City CO 80022
Please follow the instructions below to begin the Provisional Certification Process:
Provisional Application Forms packet:
- Print the Provisional Application Forms Packet. This packet contains all necessary forms to begin the provisional process. Please read the intro letter carefully for more detailed information and requirements.
- Complete the necessary forms. If at all possible, please download and complete the fillable forms on the computer prior to printing for signatures.
- Scan and email (or fax or mail) pdf forms and other required documentation to POST at email@example.com, the physical address below, or fax number 866-858-7486. Please do not send documents as jpegs.
- Do not send incomplete packets. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.
- Fingerprints must be submitted as part of the POST background check. Even if you have submitted fingerprints to an agency as part of their hiring process, you must still submit fingerprints for the POST background process. Review the Instructions for Submitting Fingerprints, and then complete the Fingerprint Card Order Form or go to one of the CBI-authorized CABS vendors.
- Download and/or print the Supplemental Provisional/Renewal Materials Packet. This packet contains the Curriculum Bibliography, Study Recommendations, and Basic Academy Requirements for your convenience.
- Download and/or print the Skills Proficiency Manual. This manual gives detailed information on what to expect when demonstrating your proficiency in the skills areas.
Non-United States Citizens:
- Click here for information about certification of non-United States citizens.
The one-day test out is given every other month. The test out includes both the written exam and skills exams. During the skills evaluation, the applicant must demonstrate proficiency in firearms, driving and arrest control by evaluation against POST proficiency standards for each skill. There is no instructional time during the test out. If you have not maintained your skills, we suggest you attend a refresher academy to reinforce your skills before being tested. See Exam Schedule for exam dates.The test out is held at the Adams County Sheriff's Office FLATROCK Training Facility at 23600 E 128th Ave, Commerce City CO 80022.
The fee to test out is $125 for each of the three skills. The written exam fee is $150. Registration and advance payment of $525.00 is required in order to participate in the test out process.
Click here for infomation about making an online payment. Certified checks, agency checks, or money orders may also be used as payment. Cash or personal checks will NOT be accepted.
Exam fees are not refundable, however, if you cannot attend the date for which you registered, the money will be credited for your next exam date.
Basic certification will be awarded upon successful completion of the one-day test out, provided all other requirements have been met.
A refresher academy is a two- or three-week academy that consists of both academics and skills training in firearms, driving and arrest control. The written exam is administered on the last day of the academy. If all requirements are met and the POST exam passed, the applicant will be awarded Basic certification.