Certifications remain active as long as you are employed as a Colorado Peace Officer as described in Title 16 Article 2.5 of the Colorado Revised Statutes, and up to three years after leaving a position. You must renew your certification if you allow your certification to lapse, and wish to return to duty. Please note that becoming a reserve officer after you've received Basic Certification also keeps your certification in effect.
In most cases, any former Colorado peace officer who at one time possessed basic certification but who has not worked as a peace officer or reserve peace officer within the past three years, may apply for renewal of his or her basic certification. There is no time limit for certification renewal.
Certification renewal requires that you complete all paperwork, fingerprint card, and successfully complete the written certification and the three skills exams.
For questions regarding certification renewal: 720-508-6724 or click to email.
- Send this Fingerprint Card Order Form and a certified check or money order for $5.00 made out to Colorado POST by US mail to obtain a POST fingerprint card
- Renewal Application Forms This packet contains instructions and all forms for Certification Renewal application
- Supplemental Provisional/Renewal Materials Packet PDF. This packet contains the Curriculum Bibliography, Study Recommendations, and Basic Academy Requirements for your convenience.
- Skills Proficiency Manual This manual gives detailed information on what to expect when demonstrating your proficiency in the skills areas.
FLATROCK Training CenterAdams County Sheriff's Office FLATROCK Training Facility 23600 E 128th Ave, Commerce City, CO 80022
Renewal application items are available for download and/or print directly from our website. Please follow the instructions below to begin the Renewal Process:
Any out-of-state peace officer wishing to apply for Provisional Certification in Colorado, or any officer wishing to Renew their Colorado POST certification, must download a Provisional or Renewal Application Forms packet, a Supplemental Provisional/Renewal materials packet, and a Skills Proficiency Manual and complete a background check with Colorado Bureau of Investigations.
Renewal Forms Packet
- Please print the Renewal Forms Packet. This packet contains all necessary forms to begin the Renewal process. Please read the intro letter carefully for more detailed information and requirements.
- Complete the necessary forms. If at all possible, please download and complete the fillable forms on the computer prior to printing for signatures.
- Scan and email (or fax or mail) pdf forms and other required documentation to POST at email@example.com, the address below, or fax number 866-858-7486. Please do not send documents as jpegs.
- Do not send incomplete packets. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.
- Send this Fingerprint Card Order Form and a certified check or money order for $5.00 made out to Colorado POST by US mail to:
1300 Broadway, 9th floor
Denver CO 80203
- Send your completed POST fingerprint card with a certified check or money order for $39.50 made out to CBI directly to Colorado Bureau of Investigations at:
Colorado Bureau of Investigations
690 Kipling St #3000
Lakewood, CO 80215
Fingerprint results will be forwarded to POST. Do not send the fingerprint card to POST. Please consult the Fingerprint Card Instructions. Instructions will be mailed with fingerprint card.
- Download and/or print the Supplemental Provisional/Renewal Materials Packet. This packet contains the Curriculum Bibliography, Study Recommendations, and Basic Academy Requirements for your convenience.
- Download and/or print the Skills Proficiency Manual This manual gives detailed information on what to expect when demonstrating your proficiency in the skills areas.
The one-day test out is given every other month. The test out includes both the written exam and skills exams. During the skills evaluation, the applicant must demonstrate proficiency in firearms, driving and arrest control by evaluation against POST proficiency standards for each skill. There is no instructional time during the test out. If you have not maintained your skills, we suggest you attend a refresher academy to reinforce your skills before being tested. See Exam Schedule for exam dates.
The test out is held at the Adams County Sheriff's Office FLATROCK Training Facility at 23600 E 128th Ave, Commerce City CO 80022.
The fee to test out is $125 for each of the three skills. The written exam fee is $150. Registration and advance payment of $525.00 is required in order to participate in the test out process. Only a certified check or money order payable to “POST” will be accepted as payment.
Basic certification will be renewed upon successful completion of the one-day test out, provided all other requirements have been met.
A refresher academy is a two- or three-week academy that consists of both academics and skills training in firearms, driving and arrest control. The written exam is administered on the last day of the academy. If all requirements are met and the POST exam passed, the Basic certification will be renewed. Your original PID/certification numbers will be reactivated. No new certificate will be issued. You may print a copy of your renewed certificate through the POST portal. Your POST certificate will continue to have the same issue date as your first certification, but the expiration date will be active for 3 years after the renewal process has been completed. POST no longer issues PID cards.
Every person who possesses basic certification must update any change in his or her address or telephone number through the POST Portal. Any name change requires submission of a Form 5 - Change of Name with proof of name change.