Garnishment FAQ


Q: Where should wage attachments/garnishments for State of Colorado employees be sent?

A: Wage attachments for all State of Colorado Employees, regardless of the location of the State agency or facility where the employee works, should be mailed to:

Office of the State Controller - Central Payroll

1525 Sherman Street, 5th Floor

Denver, CO 80203


Q: How can I find out if a plaintiff/debtor on a garnishment is an employee for the State of Colorado?

A: The State of Colorado currently uses CCCVerify for this information.


Agency Payroll Offices

Q: What should I tell an employee who has questions about their wage attachment?

A: Please have the employee contact Central Payroll by phone (303-866-5804) or email (


Q: What should I do if a wage attachment is served to our agency's payroll office?

A: Sign for the document and immediately send it to Central Payroll.


Q: Should copies of wage attachment documents be kept in the agency's payroll files for the employee?

A: Under no circumstances should copies be kept at the agency's payroll office. All documentation is kept in Central Payroll under strict retention guidelines.


Q: Who should deliver the employee copy of the wage attachment to the employee?

A: Only the agency payroll office may deliver the employee copy of the wage attachment to the employee to maintain confidentiality.



Q: I have a federal tax levy with the IRS and want to have the payments from my payroll checks reduced or stopped. Can this be done?

A: Please call the IRS at 1-800-829-7650. Any changes made by the IRS nust be faxed immediately to Central Payroll at 303-866-4138.


Q: I have a state tax levy with the Colorado Department of Revenue and want the payments from my checks reduced or stopped. Can this be done?

A: Please call the Colorado Department of Revenue at 303-205-8291, option 0, to talk with a representative. Any changes made must be immediately faxed to Central Payroll at 303-866-4138.


Q: How much will be deducted from my payroll check for the wage attachment?

A: Payments are determined by federal and state laws:

Writs of Garnishments - up to 25% of disposable income

Support Payments - up to 65% of disposable income

Education Loans - up to 15% of disposable income

State Tax Levies - up to 25% of disposable income

IRS Tax Levies - determined by the IRS exemption chart


Q: Is disposable income the same as net income?

A: No. Disposable income is gross earnings, less only the deductions required by law (PERA, federal withholdings, state withholdings, medicare, local tax).


Q: I have multiple wage attachments on my payroll record. The law states that garnisments are to be paid one at a time, so why are multiple payments being deducted from my payroll check?

A: Multiple wage attachments can be deducted from a single payroll check, as long as the combined amounts do not exceed the payment amounts determined by federal and state laws.


Q: I just recieved a wage attachment. When will the first payment be deducted from my wages?

A: In most cases, wage attachments are attached to the employee's wages during the current payroll cycle.


Q: I have a wage attachment, but cannot afford to have a payment deducted from my wages. Is there anything I can do?

A: Please contact the vendor/collection agency/attorney issuing the wage attachment. On occasion, reduced payments or payment plans can be arranged. Any changes to the wage attachment must be faxed immidiately to Central Payroll at 303-866-4138.


Q: I have filed for bankruptcy. Will this stop my wage attachment payment deductions from payroll?

A: Please have your attorney fax the Notice of Bankruptcy to Central Payroll at 303-866-4138. All wage attachment payments will be stopped immediately, effective on the current payroll, with the exception of support payments. 

Return to Payroll Services