The Explosives Program ensures the safety of workers and the public and protects property by regulating individuals and businesses that use, manufacture, possess, sell, store, transport, and dispose of explosives or blasting agents.
Users of explosives include, but are not limited to, companies engaged in research and development, highway and building construction and demolition, oil and gas exploration and avalanche control.
Type I Explosives Permit - For Individuals
Individuals who apply for Type I explosives permits are required to:
- Be at least 21 years of age;
- Have at least one year of experience working with explosives;
- Pass a background check; and
- Pass an exam with a minimum score of 90%. Exams are designed to encompass the regulations for the classification of work the applicant will be performing (construction, quarry, R & D, etc.).
All owners, partners or managers who will have access to explosive materials are are responsible for their organization's compliance with explosives laws and regulations must also hold a valid Type I permit.
Type II Explosives Permit - For Companies/Local Government Agencies
Corporations, companies, partnerships, firms, individuals operating a business, associations or state or local government agencies involved in the use, purchase, sale, manufacture, transportation or disposal of explosives are required to obtain a Type II explosives permit. Entities applying for Type II permits are required to:
- Have at least one Type I permitted individual in their employ; and
- Identify the person(s) responsible for the oversight of the explosives in the entity's possession.
Type III Explosives Permit - For Companies/Local Government Agencies Storing Explosives
Type III explosives permits are issued to companies who store explosives in magazines. Inventory records are required for all types of explosives stored in magazines. Before issuance of the Type III permit, the Explosives Program will conduct an inspection of the magazine storage site(s).
Request a Visit
Would you like to request a visit with an Explosives Program representative? If so, click on the button below to submit your request.