Motor Vehicle Department
Susan L. Bailey, Morgan County Clerk
231 Ensign Street, P.O. Box 1399
Fort Morgan, CO 80701
970-542-3521 option 2
970-542-3525 (motor vehicle fax)
Hours 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Mondays - Friday
Closed all legal holidays.
Department of Motor Vehicles Website: https://www.colorado.gov/dmv
PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCY REQUIRED FOR ALL MOTOR VEHICLE TRANSACTIONS
- To register your vehicle in Morgan County you MUST reside in Morgan County.
- You must provide Secure and Verifiable Identification for ALL transactions and proof of insurance to register vehicles. SVID State Document and Form DR2842
- If your ID does not show your Morgan County address you will be required to complete the Morgan County Vehicle Registration Statement of Fact form and provide two of the following documents (in hard copy form from the provider)
Acceptable forms for residency are:
Current Utility bill (gas/electric)
Current Voter registration
Current Credit card statement
Current Pay stub or earnings statement
Current Rent receipt
Current Transcript or report card from an accredited school
Current Phone bill
Current Bank statement
Current Medical bills
Current Retirement statement
Current Tax Return/document
ESTIMATES for License Plates/Registrations
You may obtain an estimate online by clicking - https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=FeeEstimator or by visiting in person at our office. (We will not be able to provide you with an estimate over the phone)-You must provide the following information: year, make and model of the vehicle (VIN # will get the estimate closer.) However, this is ONLY an estimate. Without the actual title work, an exact amount cannot be determined. Any estimate given (exact or not) will change if the transaction is completed in the next month, due to ownership taxes being charged from the date of purchase until the vehicle is registered, and all is based on the value and year of the vehicle.
Late Fees on Registration Renewals
In Colorado, a one month grace period is given for all renewals. (Example: If your plates expire in February, you have until March to renew your plates) If you should renew online, you have until the last day of the month, if you should renew in person at our office, you have until the last working day of the month to renew). Mandatory late fees in the amount of $25.00 per month are collected after the one month grace period up to $100.00 maximum. This fee is in addition to standard renewal fees.
Proof of Insurance Requirements
Proof of insurance is required for every motor vehicle transaction. Colorado requires that all registered vehicles operating on Colorado roads be properly insured. Effective July 1, 1999, all owners of Tax Class C (passenger, motorhome, and motorcycle) will be required to provide proof of insurance for the vehicle prior to vehicle registrations/renewal. Effective May 12, 2000, owners of Tax Class B vehicles (including light trucks and SUV's) must show proof of insurance before registering vehicles. This does not change the fact that all motor vehicle types must have insurance coverage.
New to Morgan County?
You may update your Colorado registration one of two ways:
- Online by clicking - https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=VehicleAddress
- Appearing in our office with your updated ID or two approved forms of residency and the completed Morgan County Statement of Fact form.
Click HERE for a description of all services provided by "Skip the Trip" to the DMV.
Below is a list of available online vehicle services with a direct link to that service:
- Motor Vehicle Forms
- Request a duplicate registration card - https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=DuplicateReg
- Request a duplicate title - https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=DuplicateTitle
- Estimate registration fees - https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=FeeEstimator
- Become a third party IRP agent - https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=IRPAgent
- Create an IRP account - https://mydmv.colorado.gov/?Link=IRPReg
For the following topics, please visit: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/vehicles
- License Plates
- Commercial Vehicles (IRP)
- Persons with Disabilities
- Tow Carriers and Abandoned Vehicles
- Dealer Issued Temporary Permits
Manufactured Home Forms
Find Mobile Home Forms here: Manufactured Home Transfer Declaration Form
If transferring a Colorado title to your name without a lien, a new title may be printed if the system allows. The person whose name is on the title that is being transferred to must be present with a photo ID. Note: Secure and verifiable identification will be required.