Purchased from an Individual
To register a vehicle that was purchased from an individual, the buyer needs to supply the following:
- An odometer statement is required if the vehicle is newer then 10 years old. Most titles provide a place for the odometer reading.
- A title properly transferred from seller to buyer is required.
- If title is not readily available, a bill of sale and insurance (in the new owner’s name) on the new vehicle will allow purchase of a temporary permit / registration.
- If the title is not a Colorado title, a VIN verification is required. A VIN verification is available from any Colorado law enforcement officer or Colorado dealer.
- Older Colorado titles may require a notary. If the title has a place for a notary to sign, it needs to be notarized or a Statement of Transfer (in lieu of notarization of Colorado title) Form DR2445 needs to be filled out.
- Notary may be required on out of state titles.
- Proof of insurance is required and must state year, make, Vin, owner's name, and expiration. Proof of insurance includes:
- Binder / letter from an insurance company on company letter
- Declaration page
- Valid insurance card