Elections/Voter Registration and Information
Pamela M. Bacon, Logan County Clerk and Recorder
Logan County Courthouse
315 Main Street, Suite 3
Sterling, CO 80751
970-522-2036 (Elections/Recording FAX)
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M-F Closed all legal holidays
Qualifications for Registration-preregistration:
1. Every person who is eighteen years of age or older on the date of the next election and who has the following qualifications is entitled to register to vote at all elections:
- The person is a citizen of the United States.
- The person has resided in this state twenty-two days immediately prior to the election at which the person intends to vote.
2. (a) (i) notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, upon satisfactory proof of age, every person who is otherwise qualified to register and is sixteen years of age or older but will not have reached eighteen years of age by the date of the next election may preregister and update his or her preregistered information by any means authorized in this article for persons eighteen years of age or older. Upon reaching eighteen years of age, the person is automatically registered.
How to register to vote for the first time in Colorado:
Up to 22 days prior to the election:
- Through a Voter Registration Drive (VRD).
Up to 8 days prior to the election:
- On-line at www.govotecolorado.com
- Through the mail
- Through a Voter Registration Agency
- At a local Driver's License Examination Facility
- Appearing in person at the Elector's County Clerk and Recorder's Office any time in-person during which registration is permitted including Election day
- Appearing in person at any Voter Service & Polling Center in the County (only applicable in even year November elections).
Hey, CO. U can now text 2 register 2 vote
Eligible Coloradans can simply text the word “Colorado” or "CO" to “2Vote” (28683) on their smartphones, and then open the link to the SOS' online voter registration and election information site. It's that easy.
Coloradans can text to register, update their address, change their party affiliation, view their sample ballot 45 days before an election or check the status of their voted ballot. They can also get important dates and deadlines pertaining to Nov. 8 general election or future elections.
The texting option is the latest in election innovation from the Colorado Secretary of State's Office.
How to update voter information (change address, name, party affiliation):
- In person at the County Clerk & Recorder's Office.
- By mail.
- At a Driver's License Office.
- At a Voter Registration Agency (Human Services Office, WIC Office, Disability Office).
- At a Voter Service & Polling Center through Election Day.
- Voter Registration Drives (VRD).
- On-line at www.govotecolorado.com
Military and Overseas Voters: Citizens living outside the U.S., including members of the military and spouses and dependents are eligible to register to vote in Logan County, if Logan County was your last domestic address. The Federal Voter Assistance Program (FVAP) has now launched the Voter Registration Assistant, a new fillable Federal Postcard Application tool on its website www.fvap.gov to automate the process of registering and requesting a ballot. You must meet the usual voter registration deadlines:
College Students: Is your 18 year old or older son or daughter going to be away at college during the election cycle? College students should fill out a form in their home county to have the ballot from home mailed to them at college. This will avoid any possibility of disrupting scholarships or student grants.
BallotTrax is a free service for Logan County Voters that allows you to track the status of your ballot online, as well as receive message by text, phone or email when your ballot has been sent to you and received by our Elections Division. Sign up today: votelogancounty.ballottrax.net
Common questions about BallotTrax:
- Do I have to provide secure, personal information to sign up?
No. The only information BallotTrax needs is your first name, last name, year and/or date of birth (depending on the county requirements) and zip code. This is the voter registration information that is made available via public record under open records laws. Voter ID is only required when the above information exists for more than one person. You are not required to provide a SSN, license number, etc.
- I’m unable to login. What am I doing wrong?
The most common mistake is using an alias to login with. Voters must login with their name, date of birth and zip code exactly how it appears on their voter registration. For example, if a voter’s first name is James and the voter attempts to login as Jim, they will be denied access. Another issue is having canceled; incomplete or inactive voter registration. Make sure your registration is active and up to date!
- Can I limit when I receive notifications?
Yes. When you sign up for BallotTrax notifications, you can limit your notification hours. Access you voter profile and set your contact between hours. This will tell BallotTrax when to send you notifications and eliminate those pesky 2 a.m. text messages.
- Do I have to receive notifications?
No. You are not required to receive notifications. If you would prefer, BallotTrax also provides your current ballot status through the voter portal. You can simply login to view where your ballot is at in the process – no notifications required!
Coordinated Election Day: Tuesday, November 7, 2017
All active registered voters will receive a mail ballot for the Coordinated Election. Check your voter registration to ensure that it is active and update your voter registration online at www.govotecolorado.com . You may also update your registration and cast a ballot through Election Day at any Voter Service and Polling Center in Logan County. There are no precinct polling places.
- First day ballots are mailed to active registered voters: Monday, October 16, 2017.
- Ballot drop-off locations open: Monday, October 16, 2017.
- Deadline to register to vote by mail, a voter registration agency, a local drivers' license facility or online and receive a ballot by mail: Monday, October 30, 2017.
- Election Office is open Saturday, November 4, 2017 8:00 a.m. to noon.
- Coordinated Election Day: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Coordinated Election Day Voter Service and Polling Location is:
- Logan County Courthouse 315 Main Street Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751
All ballots must be in the hands of the County Clerk (Any County Clerk in the State of Colorado) by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day in order to be counted. (Exception - military and overseas voters.)
Only active registered voters will receive mail ballots for elections. Make sure your registration is up to date in Logan County (i.e have you moved since the last election or have you changed your name or want to update affiliation with a party)?
There are no precincts or polling places.
The ballot you receive in the mail is your OFFICIAL BALLOT TO VOTE FOR THAT ELECTION.
November 7, 2107 Sample Ballots:
IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN ONE OF THE DISTRICTS LISTED BELOW, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A BALLOT FOR THE NOVEMBER 7, 2017 COORDINATED ELECTION.
VOTE411.ORG - League of Women Voters side-by-side comparison of candidates' views on key issues in their own words available in October.
DRIVE UP Drop Box located in Courthouse parking lot.
The drive up drop box is located in the parking lot entrance to the Courthouse off of Ash Street on the east end of the parking lot.
The drop box can be used for voted ballots, motor vehicle renewals, tax payments and any other county business after hours or during business hours for convenience.
The box will be open 24 hours unless there is a deadline for taxes or after 7 p.m. on election night. The box will be checked once a day at times other than election time when ballots are mailed out. During elections it will be checked multiple times a day. The box should hold between 750 to 1000 ballots. The box is under 24 hour surveillance. It is a felony to break open or tamper with the box. It is illegal to drop off more than ten ballots in the box for any election.
If there is a problem with the drop box, contact information is on the side of the box.