Recorder's Notes by Pamela Bacon, Logan County Clerk and Recorder
ELECTION INFORMATION: Watch for your ballot this week in the mail. Ballots for the June 26, 2018 Primary Election will be mailed this week June 4 – June 8, 2018. The Primary Election will be conducted as an all Mail Ballot Election.
What will be on the June 26, 2018 Prinary Mail Ballot?
- Representative to the 116 United States Congress- District 4
- Secretary of State
- State Treasurer
- Attorney General
- State Board of Education Member Congressional District 4
- Regent of the University of Colorado – At Large
- State Senator- District 1
- State Representative- District 65
- Logan County Commissioner- District 3
- Logan County Clerk and Recorder
- Logan County Treasurer
- Logan County Assessor
- Logan County Sheriff
- Logan County Surveyor
- Logan County Coroner
UNAFFILIATED VOTERS: Recent changes in Colorado law now allow unaffiliated voters to vote in a primary election.
Here is how it works:
1. You will receive two ballots in your packet, one Democratic ballot and one Republican ballot.
2. Choose ONLY ONE of these ballots and fill it out. Discard the ballot you won’t use.
3. Sign your return envelope and return your ONE voted ballot in the return envelope.
Sending in two voted ballots will disqualify all of your votes. Your vote in this election will not affiliate you with a political party.
The ballot you receive in the mail is your official ballot and the ballot you need to vote and return to our office for processing.
Ballots are mailed to all Active Eligible Voters. As soon as you receive your ballot you may vote the ballot with your choices; sign the envelope and then return it to the Clerk & Recorder’s Office during office hours or use our outside 24/7 Drive Up Drop Box (no postage needed) or by mail (with proper postage). Remember to allow enough time for the ballot to reach our office! Postmarks do not count! Mail-in ballots must be received by 7:00 p.m. June 26, 2018.
TIPS FOR MAIL BALLOTS:
- You will receive in the mail your official ballot, secrecy sleeve with instructions and a return envelope.
- Unaffiliated voters your ballot packet will contain both Democratic and Republican Party ballots. ONLY RETURN ONE!
- Use a blue or black ink pen that will not bleed through the paper to vote your ballot.
- To vote for a candidate whose name appears on the ballot, completely fill in the oval to the left of your choice.
- If you do not want to vote the entire ballot, simply mark your selections and leave the rest blank.
- After marking your ballot, place the ballot inside the secrecy sleeve that came with your ballot.
- Place the ballot and the secrecy sleeve in your return envelope addressed to Logan County Clerk and Recorder, 315 Main Street, Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751.
- Before sealing the envelope, please sign the signature affidavit located on the back of the envelope. This is required in order for your ballot to be processed. We must compare every signature to make sure that the intended voter was the one who signed the envelope.
8. We highly recommend that you:
- Drop your ballot off at the Logan County Clerk & Recorder’s Office at 315 Main Street, Sterling, CO 80751, located on the first floor, northwest corner of the Courthouse or,
- Drop your ballot in the 24/7 drop box located in the Courthouse parking lot (Ash Street entrance) east side of the parking area (no postage necessary).
- You may also mail your ballot using the envelope provided but (adequate postage will be required).
SELFIE STATION: Bring your voted ballot to the Courthouse to drop it off and take a selfie with your envelope at our new selfie station located in the rotunda of the Courthouse just outside our office.
QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR MAIL-IN BALLOT:
What if my ballot does not arrive? If your Primary Election ballot does not arrive by June 15, 2018 please come to the Logan County Clerk & Recorder’s Office, 315 Main St. Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751 to obtain a replacement ballot.
I spoiled my ballot, now what do I do? Please call the Logan County Clerk & Recorder’s Office at 522-1544 or stop by our office. You may obtain a replacement ballot during normal business hours; from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
What do I do with my mail-in ballot? You can vote your ballot any time after you receive the ballot. You can either mail it back with adequate postage or bring it to the Logan County Clerk & Recorder’s Office at 315 Main Street, Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751 or drop it in the 24/7 Drive Up Drop Box. You may do this any time up to June 26, 2018 all ballots must be received by 7:00 p.m. election day in order to be counted.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2018 PRIMARY ELECTION:
- June 18, 2018, Monday: Last day to submit an application to register to vote through the mail, a voter registration agency, a local driver’s license examination facility, or online to receive a ballot in the mail for the Primary Election. (through the 8th day prior to the election)
- June 18, 2018, Monday: Last day to file an absentee ballot application to receive the absentee ballot by mail if you are absent from your home address.
- June 18, 2018, Monday – June 26, 2018, Tuesday: Voters can register to vote, obtain a replacement ballot or drop off their mail in ballots in person at the Logan County Clerk & Recorder’s Office, 315 Main Street, Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751
- Logan County Clerk and Recorder’s Office Election Department will be open on Saturday, June 23, 2018 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. for ballot drop off, replacement ballots.
- June 26, 2018: ELECTION DAY
Logan County Clerk and Recorder’s Office is open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. 315 Main Street, Suite 3, Sterling, CO 80751
BallotTrax is a free service for Logan County Voters that allows you to track the status of your ballot online, as well as receive messages by text, phone or email when your ballot has been sent to you and received by our Elections Division. Logan County voters may sign up at votelogancounty.ballottrax.net
The Election and Recording Department can be reached at 522-1544 for voter and election questions or recording information. The Motor Vehicle Department can be reached at 522-1158 for license plates/renewals or titling a vehicle. You can also reach our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Like us on Facebook at Logan County Elections/MotorVehicle/Recording or Twitter @LoganClerkCO