Recorder's Notes by Pamela Bacon, Logan County Clerk and Recorder
When is Colorado holding the next Primary Elections?
- March 3, 2020 Presidential Primary Election
- June 30, 2020 State Primary Election
Who can vote in a Presidential or State Primary Election?
- Voters affiliated with a major party: may cast a ballot for candidates of the party they are affiliated with.
- Voters affiliated with a minor party: if there is a minor party contest those affiliated with that minor party may cast a ballot for those candidates.
- Unaffiliated voters: An unaffiliated voter may cast a ballot for any one political party. If an unaffiliated voter returns a ballot with more than one major political party, the ballot will be rejected and none of the votes will be counted.
I am an unaffiliated voter. Do I have to choose in advance which party's primary ballot to vote?
No, but you can if you want to. You have several options:
1. You may choose which party's ballot you want to get in the mail for the next primary election by selecting a party preference at govotecolorado.com or on any paper voter registration form.
2. If you would rather receive a packet containing the ballots of all participating major parties, you can take no action or select this option when first registering to vote.
3. You can also appear in person at any Voter Service and Polling Center in your county and choose the party's ballot you want to vote.
Does selecting a ballot preference as an unaffiliated voter mean that I am joining that party?
No. An unaffiliated voter who selects a ballot preference in advance of a primary election will remain unaffiliated.
If I select a ballot preference, do I have to select a ballot preference before each Primary?
Yes, ballot preference is only good for one Primary; you will need to select a preference each time.
Does voting in a party's primary as an unaffiliated voter mean that I am joining that party?
No. An unaffiliated voter who votes in a party's primary will remain unaffiliated. However, the primary that you vote in will be a public record (but not how you voted).
I am an unaffiliated voter. Why did I get two ballots sent to me during a primary?
Most unaffiliated voters will receive the ballots of both major political parties during a primary election. This allows an unaffiliated voter to choose which party's primary they will vote in. Unaffiliated voters may only return one party's ballot. Returning two voted ballots will result in neither ballot counting.
The Election and Recording Department can be reached at 522-1544 for voter and election questions or recording information. The Motor Vehicle Department can be reached at 522-1158 for license plates/renewals or titling a vehicle. You can also reach our office by email at email@example.com . Like us on Facebook at Logan County Elections/MotorVehicle/Recording!