The Colorado Department of Revenue permits every adult driver 12 violation points on his or her driver's license. The accumulation of 12 violation points within a calendar year will result in the loss of your driver's license. The three most common traffic violations are:
- failure to stop at a stop sign
- driving under the influence of alcohol and or drugs
Speeding vehicles and vehicles which turn onto to roadway without notice cause potentially dangerous situations. Because we live in a mountainous region, some people have a tendency to look at the scenery and not pay close enough attention to their driving. This creates a high risk for an accident to happen. It is the responsibility of every driver to obey all laws. Following are a few reminders regarding safe driving:
- Drive at the posted speed limit.
- Yield to all emergency vehicles by pulling over off the road as far to the right as is safely possible.
- Adjust your speed during adverse weather conditions.
- Designate a driver who will remain sober if you plan to drink or if you are taking medications which could impair your ability to drive.
- When school bus lights are flashing yellow and red, slow down and stop until the lights stop flashing.
- Always stop for pedestrians who are in a crosswalk.
- Buckle up and instruct all passengers in the vehicle to do the same. Wearing seat belts save lives in the event of an accident.
- Do not cross a double yellow line to make a u-turn.