Programs for American Indians and Alaska Natives
Snapshots are informational only. You must apply to find out what programs or waivers you qualify for.
If you are not looking to find coverage for an American Indian or Alaska Native, please choose another category.
Health coverage can provide you and your family more options to get the care you need. You can go to any doctor or hospital that accepts the type of coverage, including Indian Health Services, tribal, and urban Indian clinics.
By having coverage through Medicaid, Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) or private insurance, you will be able to access care that may not be offered at your tribal health care facility or urban Indian clinic. Peace of mind comes with more health care options for you and your loved ones for unexpected health costs.
Medicaid and Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+)
Medicaid and CHP+ are free or low cost public health insurance for Coloradans who qualify. Beginning in 2014, more adults without kids and parents can now qualify for Medicaid. Now individuals making up to about $1,250 a month or a family of four making about $2,600 may qualify for Medicaid.
As an American Indian or Alaska Native, if you qualify for Medicaid or CHP+ you do not have to pay co-payments or enrollment fees. To find out if you may qualify visit our How To Apply page.
To find out more about Medicaid and CHP+, check out these videos for American Indians and Alaska Natives created by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Division of Tribal Affairs:
- CHP+ VIDEO: Partners in Health: Creating Healthy Communities
- Medicaid & The Children’s Health Insurance Program: Working Together for our Children For Our Future
- Our Health, Our Community Medicare: Medicaid and CHP+ outreach to American Indians/Alaska Natives
- A New Path to Health Care: Health Insurance Options for AIANs
Connect for Health Colorado
As an American Indian or Alaska Native you can still sign up for private health insurance through the Connect for Health Colorado marketplace. Here is what you need to know:
- Members of a federally recognized tribe can buy health insurance from Connect for Health Colorado at any time. You do not need to wait for an open enrollment period to enroll. You can also change your health plan once a month.
- If you applied for an exemption from the individual responsibility payment, you can still sign up for coverage through Connect for Health Colorado.
Connect for Health Colorado has additional information for American Indians and Alaska Natives.