The State Measurement for Accountable, Responsive, and Transparent (SMART) Government Act (Colorado House Bill 10-1119) established a performance-based budgeting system for Colorado. Section 2-7-201, et seq., C.R.S., requires departments to create performance plans outlining their goals, and describe how those goals will be evaluated through performance measures. Performance plans are to be readily available to legislators and the public.
The Department’s Fiscal Year 2015-16 Performance Plan describes its mission, vision and goals, and provides annual performance measures and strategies for achieving its goals. Its Strategy Map presents a one-page overview highlighting six strategic policy initiatives designed to ensure customer-focused performance management, as follows:
- Customer – Improve health outcomes, client experience and lower per capita costs
- Communications – Sustain effective internal and external relationships
- Technology – Provide exceptional service through technological innovation
- People – Build and sustain a culture of recruiting and retaining talented employees
- Process – Enhance efficiency and effectiveness through process improvement
- Financing – Ensure sound stewardship of financial resources