Medicare Savings Program – Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) Program
Medicare Savings Programs (MSP) help people with limited income and resources pay for some or all of their Medicare premiums and may also pay their Medicare deductibles and co-insurance. There are four different types of Medicare Savings Programs, this page focuses on the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) Program.
If you have income from working, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.
- Individual monthly income limit: $993
- Married couple monthly income limit: $1,331
The resource limit is $8,660 for one person and $13,750 for a married couple.
Countable resources include:
- Money in a checking or savings account
- Money in an IRA, annuity or trust
Countable resources don't include:
- Your home
- One car
- Burial plot
- Up to $1,500 for burial expenses if you have put that money aside
- Other household and personal items
Benefits and Services
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) Program provides Medicare benefits plus pays for your:
- Part A premiums
- Part B premiums
- Medicare deductibles, co-insurance, and co-payments.
You might still have to pay your Medicaid co-payments. See the Medicaid Benefits and Services Overview for a list of Medicaid co-pays.
How To Apply
- First, you must be eligible for or receiving Medicare.
- Second, contact your county of residence's Department of Human Services to apply.
Where Do I Get These Services?
- You can visit any doctor who accepts both Medicare and Medicaid coverage.
Program Contact: Sharon.Brydon@state.co.us, 303-866-5402