Health First Colorado Trusts
What Is a Trust?
A legal title to property held by one party for the benefit of another
- Settlor: The person who creates a trust
- Trustee: The person who administers a trust
- Beneficiary: The person who is entitled to receive the assets or income in a trust
Which Trusts Do We Care About?
- Any trust which was established by or which benefits a Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) member or applicant
- Trust may be established by the individual, by a court, by a guardian, by a third party, or through a will
Basic Question for Any Trust
Can the Health First Colorado member or applicant access the assets in the trust?
If he or she can, then the trust is usually a countable resource.
If he or she cannot, then the trust is usually not a countable resource.
Types of Trusts
- Income Trust (8.110.52.B.5.a.)
- Disability Trust (8.110.52.B.5.b.)
- Pooled Trust (8.110.52.B.5.c)
For more information please contact the Department at:
Medicaid.firstname.lastname@example.org - Fax: 303-866-3552