Medicaid Buy-In Program For Children With Disabilities
The Medicaid Buy-In Program for Children with Disabilities lets families of children with a disability who qualify to ‘buy-into’ Colorado Medicaid for that child. If your child and/or your family earns too much for Colorado Medicaid or Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) your child may qualify. If your child does qualify, you may pay a monthly premium to be in the program. We base your monthly premium on your family’s income.
- You must be a child under the age of 19,
- You must have a qualifying disability. The Social Security Administration (SSA) listings describes what disabilities qualify, and
- Your family income must be below 300% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). For example, a family of four making about $8,600 a month may qualify.
You are not required to apply for SSA disability. You must fill out the Medicaid Disability Application and Medical release form on the How To Apply page. We will determine if you qualify using the Social Security Administration (SSA) listings, without regard to your child's substantial gainful activity or ability to work.
Benefits and Services
What Does It Cost?
You have to pay monthly premiums based on your income to be in the program. The more you make, the more you pay.
|Federal Poverty Level (FPL)||Monthly Income for an Individual||Monthly Income for a Family of 4||You Pay Each Month|
|0% -133%||$0 - $1,294*||$0 - $2,644*||$0|
|134% -185%||$1,295 - $1,800*||$2,645 - $3,677*||$70|
|186% -250%||$1,801 - $2,432*||$3,678 - $4,969*||$90|
|251% -300%||$2,433 - $2,918*||$4,970 - $5,962*||$120|
*Some earning more may still qualify.
How to Apply
- Complete Medical application online at Colorado.gov/PEAK
- In person
- By phone at 1-800-221-3943/TDD 1-800-659-2656
- By mail
For more information on how to apply, see our How To Apply page.
For more details about this program, see our Medicaid Buy-In Program page.
If you have more questions about this program please contact the Medicaid Customer Contact Center.