In-Home Support Services (IHSS)
In-Home Support Services (IHSS) provides help with health needs, household tasks and personal care, to people who qualify.
To qualify for In-Home Support Services you must be enrolled in one of these waivers:
- Children’s Home and Community Based Services (CHCBS) waiver
- Elderly, Blind, and Disabled (EBD) waiver
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) waiver
A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
Benefits and Services
You will get your waiver’s benefits. If you qualify, you may be able to get assistance to help you remain in your home and community. This includes:
- Help with health related needs
- Help with homemaker services such as housekeeping, meal preparation, and laundry
- Help with personal care activities such as bathing, dressing, or eating
You get to pick the IHSS Agency attendant who helps you with these tasks. All attendants providing IHSS must be employed by an IHSS agency. IHSS agencies provide 24-hour, 7-day a week back-up service in case your attendant can’t make it to your home.
You can pick an IHSS Agency attendant such as a friend or family member, to provide IHSS but there are some exclusions:
- Family members can only be paid for up to 40 hours per week of personal care activities such as bathing, dressing, or eating.
- Your IHSS agency has a health professional available to help with any medical concerns you have.
More information about Participant Directed Programs
How to Apply
Contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) agency to apply. They can also help you plan what type of care you need.