Family Planning Services
What are family planning services?
Family planning services are services that can help women and men choose if, or when, to become pregnant or to become a parent. Family planning services include different kinds of birth control, like birth control pills or intrauterine devices (IUDs), and office visits to talk about family planning and how to make healthy decisions about reproduction.
What kinds of birth control are covered?
All common kinds of birth control are covered by Colorado Medicaid, such as:
- Birth control pills
- Patches (like the OrthoEvra Patch)
- Vaginal rings (like the NuvaRing)
- Injections (like the Depo shot)
- Implants (like Implanon)
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs – like Mirena or Paragard)
- Emergency birth control (“the morning-after pill”)
- Surgical sterilization for clients 21 years old and older (like vasectomies or tubal ligations, including the Essure procedure)
See the Colorado Medicaid Benefits & Services Overview for more details.
Abortions are not covered by Colorado Medicaid unless the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest, or if continuing the pregnancy would put the life of the pregnant woman in danger.
What do family planning services cost?
There is no cost for family planning services, including office visits and drugs/devices. You do not have to pay a co-payment for family planning services.
Where can you go for family planning services?
You can go to any Medicaid provider who offers family planning services, such as:
- An ob/gyn or gynecologist
- A certified nurse-midwife
- A nurse practitioner or other advanced practice nurse
- A family planning clinic
- Your regular doctor or primary care provider
You do not need a referral from your primary care provider in order to get family planning services. You can choose to see any Medicaid family planning provider even if you are in a managed care plan and the provider you want to see is “out-of-network.” For help finding a family planning provider, please see the Find a Doctor page or contact Medicaid Customer Service.