Elderly, Blind, & Disabled Waiver (EBD)
A waiver is an extra set of Medicaid benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and sometimes have waitlists.
The Home and Community-Based Services Waiver for persons who are Elderly, Blind, or Disabled (EBD) provides assistance to people ages 65 and older who have a functional impairment or are blind, and to people ages 18-64 who are physically disabled or have a diagnosis of HIV or AIDS, and require long-term supports and services in order to remain in a community setting. Effective April 1, 2014 this program incorporated services formerly provided under the Persons Living with AIDS/HIV (PLWA) program.
- EBD services work with or add to the services that you receive through the Colorado Medicaid State Plan and other federal, state and local public programs.
- EBD also works with the supports that families and communities provide.
- If you receive services through the EBD waiver, you are also eligible for all Colorado Medicaid covered services except nursing facility and long-term hospital care.
See current documents open for public comment for the EBD Waiver Amendment - through August 14, 2015
You must meet the following financial and program criteria to access services under this program. To use waiver benefits, you must also be willing to receive services in your home or community.
Level of Care
- You require long-term support services at a level comparable to services typically provided in a nursing facility.
- You must be 18 years or older.
- If you are between the ages of 18 and 64, you must be blind or have a physical disability, or have a diagnosis of HIV or AIDS.
- If you are age 65 and older, you must have been determined to have a significant functional impairment.
- Your income must be less than $2,199.00 per month.
- For a single person, your countable resources must be less than $2,000.
- For a couple, the countable resources must be less than $3,000.
Benefits and Services
If you are enrolled in the EBD waiver, you will receive regular Colorado Medicaid benefits. Additionally, you will also receive the following services specific to the EBD waiver:
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Care Facilities
- Community Transition Services
- Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services
- Homemaker Services
- Home Modifications
- In-Home Support Services
- Medication Reminder
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Personal Care Services
- Personal Emergency Response System
- Respite Care Services
View Waiver Charts
How to Apply
If you are already enrolled in Medicaid, contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) to start the waiver application process.
If you are NOT yet enrolled in Medicaid, you can apply now.