Implementation of a Canadian Prescription Drug Importation Program
In accordance with Senate Bill 19-005, the Department of Health Care Policy & Financing (Department) will be developing an application to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to establish a Canadian prescription drug importation program. The Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA) Section 804 permits importation and reimportation of prescription drugs from Canada by a pharmacist or wholesaler, provided the drugs meet certain minimum standards, HHS certifies the program will pose no additional risk to the public’s health and safety, and results in a significant reduction in costs to consumers. The Department will be developing its application with stakeholder input and looks forward to working with partners in this effort.
Stakeholder Engagement Opportunities
Please mark your calendars for a stakeholder engagement session planned for March 19, 2020 from 1:30 - 3:30 pm. The session will be held at the Department of Health Care Policy and Financing's offices at 303 E 17th Ave, Denver CO 80203 in conference room 11ABC.
Past Stakeholder Sessions
Sessions were held on November 13, 14, and 18, 2019.
Stakeholder Presentation Slides - November 13, 2019
- SB 19-005 “Canadian Prescription Drug Importation Act”
- White House Safe Importation Action Plan
- Federal Statute Regarding Canadian Drug Importation (21 U.S.C. 384)
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking: Importation of Prescription Drugs
- Polis Administration Press Release: “Feds Release Rulemaking on Prescription Drug Importation
- Proposed Rule Fact Sheet
- Colorado’s Drug Importation Program Frequently Asked Questions
We encourage you to sign up for updates on our drug importation work. Please fill out the signup form to be added to our list.
We can also be contacted via email at HCPF_005DrugImportation@state.co.us.