Dental services are a program benefit for Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) members of all ages.
What does the dental benefit cover?
See the Children's Dental Benefits page for more information about benefits for Health First Colorado members under age 21. The adult dental benefit is available to eligible adult Health First Colorado members (21 and over) and covers:
- Basic preventive dental exams
- Diagnostic and restorative dental services (such as x-rays and fillings)
- Extractions (tooth pulling)
- Root canals
- Partial dentures*
- Complete dentures*
- Periodontal scaling
- Root planing
- Other procedures requiring prior authorization
* Partial and complete dentures are not subject to the $1,000 cap per year.
Historically, Health First Colorado has covered dental services for children, but not for adults. Lack of preventive dental coverage can contribute to a range of serious health complications and drives Health First Colorado costs for both emergency and medical services.
In 2013 the Department created a new limited dental benefit in Health First Colorado for adults age 21 and over. The new dental benefit provides eligible Health First Colorado members up to $1,000 in dental services per year which runs from July 1 – June 30.
Health First Colorado Partners with DentaQuest
Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) has partnered with DentaQuest to help our members find a dentist and help us manage our members’ dental benefits. All Health First Colorado members will receive a welcome packet from DentaQuest with information about dental benefit coverage, how to use dental benefits and where to get information. See DentaQuest's Member Handbook for more details.
DentaQuest operates a customer service center to specifically answer Health First Colorado members’ dental questions. DentaQuest’s Member Services is available Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Mountain Time at: 1-855-225-1729, TTY: 711, or at DentaQuest.com.
How can I find a dentist who accepts Health First Colorado?
Part of DentaQuest’s role is to help Health First Colorado increase the number of dentists who accept Health First Colorado and to help members find a dentist. Contact DentaQuest customer service at the number above, or visit DentaQuest.com to find a dentist near you. You can also search for dentists on our Find a Doctor page.
Where can I get more information?
- Adult Dental Benefit Fact Sheet
- Children's Dental Benefits
- Health First Colorado Customer Contact Center
- Orthodontia Billing Informational Meeting - October 14, 2016 - IMPORTANT NOTE: Policy changes proposed herein have been posted until July 2017.
- Orthodontia Billing Initiative Frequently Asked Questions