Consumer-Directed Attendant Support Services (CDASS)
The Department of Health Care Policy and Financing is committed to providing service delivery options that empower Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) members and their families to direct and manage the long-term care services and supports they need to live at home.
Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services (CDASS) lets you direct and manage the attendants who provide your personal care, homemaker and health maintenance services, rather than working through an agency. Through CDASS, you are empowered to hire, train and manage attendants of your choice to best fit your unique needs or you may delegate these responsibilities to an Authorized Representative.
CDASS is available in the following Home and Community Based (HCBS) waivers:
- Brain Injury (BI) waiver
- Community Mental Health Supports (CMHS) waiver
- Elderly, Blind and Disabled (EBD) waiver
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) waiver
Health First Colorado members who qualify for one of the HCBS waivers in which CDASS is an approved service delivery option. You must demonstrate a need for personal care, homemaker or health maintenance services. You must be in stable health and able to direct your own services or assign an Authorized Representative.
Benefits and Services
You work closely with your case manager to determine what services you need. You are able to use Health First Colorado dollars to pay the attendant of your choice rather than a home health agency or personal care agency. You manage your own Health First Colorado funds, giving you increased choice and control. This flexibility enables you to manage the services you need to live independently and to more fully participate in your community.
- Personal Care includes assistance with activities such as bathing, dressing or eating.
- Health Maintenance includes assistance with health related activities that are typically provided by a certified or licensed attendant, such as a CNA, LPN or RN. In CDASS, the Nurse Practice Act has been waived so that members have the flexibility to hire and train staff without certifications or licensure.
- Homemaker Services include assistance with general household activities needed to maintain a healthy and safe living environment, such as housekeeping, meal preparation and laundry.
How To Apply
If you are already enrolled in Health First Colorado, contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) which specializes in determining eligibility, planning care, and providing referrals.
If you are NOT yet enrolled in Health First Colorado, Apply Now.
- Learn more about Open Enrollment for members receiving CDASS
- More information about Participant Directed Programs
- CDASS Training with Consumer Direct