Community Mental Health Supports Waiver (CMHS)
A waiver is an extra set of Medicaid benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
The Home and Community-Based Services Community Mental Health Supports Waiver (CMHS) provides assistance to people with a mental illness that require long-term supports and services in order to remain in a community setting.
- CMHS services work with or add to the services that are available to you through the Colorado Medicaid State plan and other federal, state, and local public program.
- CMHS works with the supports that families and communities provide.
- If you receive services through the CMHS waiver, you are also eligible for all Colorado Medicaid covered services except nursing facility and long-term hospital care.
See current documents open for public comment for the CMHS Waiver Amendment - through August 14, 2015
You must meet the following financial and program criteria to access services under this program. To use waiver benefits, you must also be willing to receive services in your home or community.
Level of Care
- You must require long-term support services at a level comparable to services typically provided in a nursing facility.
- You must be 18 years and older.
- You must have one of the following diagnoses:
- Schizophrenia (295.xx) or Schizoaffective Disorder (295.7),
- Paranoid Disorder (297.1),
- Bipolar Disorder (296.xx),
- Major Depression (296.xx),
- Psychotic Disorder NOS (298.9), or
- Mood Disorder (296.90)
- You cannot have a sole diagnosis of Dementia (including Alzheimer Disease or related disorder).
- Your income must be less than $2,199.00 per month.
- For a single person, your countable resources must be less than $2,000.
- For a couple, the countable resources must be less than $3,000.
Benefits and Services
If you are enrolled in the CMHS waiver, you will receive regular Colorado Medicaid benefits. Additionally, you will also receive the following services specific to the CMHS waiver:
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Care Facilities
- Consumer Directed Attendant Support Services
- Homemaker Services
- Home Modifications
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Personal Care
- Personal Emergency Response System
- Respite Care
- Specialized Medical Equipment
View Waiver Charts
How to Apply
If you are already enrolled in Medicaid, contact your local Single Entry Point (SEP) to start the waiver application process
If you are NOT yet enrolled in Medicaid, click here to apply now.