Children With Autism Waiver (CWA)
A waiver is an extra set of Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) benefits that you could qualify for in certain cases. These benefits can help you remain in your home and community. Waivers have extra program rules and some programs may have waitlists.
This waiver provides behavioral therapy for children with autism up to age 5.
- Getting waiver services won’t change supports that you may get from other public programs or from your family or community.
- Your child can still get all Health First Colorado covered services except intermediate care facility, nursing facility and long-term hospital care.
You must be willing to get services in your home or community. You must also meet the following requirements:
Level of Care
- Your child must be at risk of institutionalization in an intermediate care facility
- Your child must meet the Social Security Administration definition of having a disability
- Your child must be 5 years or younger
- Your child must have a diagnosis of Autism as certified by a physician
- Your child's income must be less than $2,205 per month and his or her countable resources must be less than $2,000
- A parent’s income is not considered for the child’s eligibility
Benefits and Services
- Behavioral therapy
- Benefits are for three years or until the child’s 6th birthday
- Costs up to $25,000 per year
Where can a child get benefits?
- Benefits are available through a certified provider. The Community Centered Board (CCB) will assist the family to locate a provider.
- Pediatric Behavioral Therapies Benefit
What is the enrollment limit?
75 children may be served at this time.
How To Apply
Contact your local Community Centered Board (CCB) to be evaluated.
- CCBs provide case management services and assessments necessary for this program.
If you are already enrolled in Health First Colorado, contact your local Community Centered Board (CCB) to start the waiver application process.