Benefits Collaborative Background
Colorado Medicaid established the Benefits Collaborative in 2008, in an effort to define its covered services. The Benefits Collaborative serves as the Department's formal coverage standard development process. The Benefits Collaborative process ensures that benefit coverage standards:
- Are based on the best available clinical evidence and best practices;
- Outline the appropriate amount, scope and duration of Medicaid services;
- Are cost effective and set reasonable limits upon those services; and
- Promote the health and functioning of Medicaid clients.
By looking to nationally accepted clinical guidelines, Colorado Medicaid's benefit coverage standards align with national practice guidelines and promote standards of care and appropriate utilization.
Since the Benefits Collaborative aims to produce evidence-based policies guided by best practices, we seek to invite a diverse group of stakeholders - providers, administrators, clients, advocates, policy makers, etc. into the process. There has been a dedicated commitment to:
- Identifying all possible stakeholders with an interest in helping Colorado Medicaid shape its coverage standards; and
- Transparent communication
The Benefits Collaborative is a process, not just a collaborative stakeholder meeting or series of meetings. The process begins with the drafting of a benefit coverage standard and ends when the final draft is taken to the Medical Services Board (MSB) and is approved for incorporation into Colorado Medicaid rules. The full process is illustrated below.
- All interested individuals are welcome to participate in public stakeholder meetings, see Benefits Collaborative Meeting Schedule for dates, times, locations and associated materials.
- To review approved standards, see Approved Benefit Coverage Standards.
- Benefit Coverage Standards outline the appropriate amount, scope and duration of Medicaid services, set reasonable limits upon those services; and promote the health and functioning of Medicaid clients.
- Public Comment: Proposed Benefit Coverage Standards
For additional information regarding the Benefits Collaborative, please contact:
1570 Grant Street
Denver, CO 80203