Provider Web Portal Quick Guide: Provider Maintenance - Adding a National Provider Identifier (NPI)
Providers must use Provider Maintenance, the area of the Provider Web Portal used to update provider account information, to add a unique NPI to a service location in order to comply with House Bill (HB) 18-1282, the Colorado NPI Law.
Providers should not submit a new enrollment application.
- Login to Provider Web Portal
- Click Provider Maintenance
- Click Provider Maintenance again
- Click on the Specialty and Contact Information Changes page.
- Refer to the Change of NPI section. The question "Do you have a new NPI for this service location?" is defaulted to No.
Note: Primary Medical Assistance Provider Incentive Repository (MAPIR)/Electronic Health Record (EHR) incentive service locations will not be allowed to add a new NPI. The following message will display for those service locations.
- If an NPI needs to be updated, select the "Yes" button. When "Yes" is selected, two new fields will be visible: New NPI and New NPI Effective Date.
The New NPI must be unique and cannot be currently active in Colorado interChange.
The New NPI Effective Date is defaulted to 01/01/2020. Providers may keep that date as-is, or enter any date that is greater than 01/01/2020.
Note: Providers cannot enter a date prior to 01/01/2020. After 01/01/2020, providers will not be able to enter a date prior to the current date.
After entering the New NPI and the New NPI Effective Date, click the "Continue" or "Go to Submit" button.
Note: Users with the Fingerprinting page option on the left side (see image above) will always be directed to the Fingerprint page (see image below) when Go to Submit is clicked.
From the Fingerprinting page, click the "Go to Submit" or "Continue" button to go to the Attachments and Submit page.
- From the Attachments and Submit page, sign by entering the Name of the Person Reporting the Change and then click the Submit button.
- Retain tracking number
- Check the status of an update request
Click the Provider Maintenance Status link.
Enter the Tracking Number for the update request, and click Search.
View Status details
Need More Help?
Please visit the Quick Guides web page to find all the Provider Web Portal Quick Guides.