Short Term Rentals

On July 17, 2018, the Town Board of Trustees adopted Green Mountain Falls Ordinance No. 2018-04.  This was adopted as an emergency ordinance and as such was effective immediately.  The new ordinance requires a Short-term Rental (STR) license for any property in a residential zone district that is rented, in whole, for less than thirty (30) days.  Click here for frequently asked questions.

All existing short-term rental property owners - even if currently operating under a prior Town approval - must apply for a license under this new regulatory system.  Owners of prospective short-term rental properties who are contemplating renting out their properties on a short-term basis must apply for a license at least sixty (60) days prior to renting the property.

A copy of the STR ordinance is available for review here, and is also available at Town Hall.  A property owner providing Short-term Rentals is responsible for knowing and complying with the law, having a valid STR license (which must be renewed annually at least 60 days prior to the anniversary of the approval date), and collecting and remitting proper taxes.  Commerical lodging in Green Mountain Falls is subject to both the state-collected local sales tax rate as well as the newly adopted, Town-collected lodging occupational tax. The occupation tax ordinance is found here.

The application form is available under the Forms tab.  This is an example of the neighbor notice you would be required to prepare.  An application fee applies-which can be found in the current year fee schedule, and you must supply the neighbor notice letters as well as addressed, postage-paid envelopes.  Additional instructions are on the application form, and guidance is available at Town Hall.

Click here for the Quarterly Lodging Occupancy Tax Remittance Form.